Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

replacement humbucker for '72 tele custom reissue

funky hot grits

Hi all,

I just bought a mexican 72 tele custom reissue. I was going to buy a standard reissue tele with two single coils, but felt the custom had a better bridge pickup tone and better sounding wood than the other teles on offer. I like the neck humbucker, too, but it's a bit fat for the funk rythm work that takes up most of my gig.

So, does anyone out there know:

1.If my guitar's pickup is splittable? -I could get a tech to do the rest...

2.If anyone makes direct replacements for these pickups, that can be coil split or under-wound to sound more like a single coil?

3.If any other type of humbucker can be mounted under the oversized fender cover.

Thanks...

"Funk is it's own reward."- George Clinton

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've rewired a two wire humbucker for coil tap by adding a third wire at the point where the two coils connect. Your guitar tech should be able to tell you if it's beyond his ability. If it's a wax potted pickup, it'll probably be very difficult to do.

You could get a DiMarzio "Humbucker from Hell". It's supposed to sound a lot closer to a single coil pickup, but i've never heard one in person. You could also check out a Seymour Duncan '59 and wire it with a coil spliting switch.

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

Archived