Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How do I find a new guitarist????

knunchucksammy

I just found out that as of this summer I will no longer have the pleasure of playing with my good friend and lead guitarist...

It is saddening because he is very talented and though I write most of the music, he is very very good at texturing and making the music interesting. He has great lead parts and plays with a lot of effects and I am VERY bummed on losing him....

The rest of the band on the other hand is equally as good, and a great people who all want to continue working on the project. We are recieving lots of hype and gigs here in San Diego and allready have what looks to be a promising future...

How on earth do I find someone else of his caliber that is not a flake and does not have an inflated ego?????? Southern California is full of musicians but very few that are ANY good...

If you live in San Diego and are reading this, check out the band stuff here to listen to what you can audition for...

Thanks

Matt

www.howsmydrivingband.com

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup. You're going to put up with tons of flakes. Well...retire the position for awhile and do three piece. Friends are good places to start...rather than auditioning folks off the street...go for the "word of mouth" bit ("Man, I heard this dude play the other day"). On the other hand, you may never find someone to replace your friend. I can, in all confidence, say you won't. You won't find someone who will be a replacement..but you may find someone that will work...and maybe end up working even better in their own way. Be open to the possibilities of working with what may appear to be a limitation. Turn shortcomings into strengths.

Think in terms of the fact that some of the technically "worst" guitar playing I've heard comes from the Chili Peppers...and yet, they continue to be one of the most successful bands around. And, despite their guitarist's lack of wizardry and prowess, the parts he plays fit the songs well. So, that's what I'm saying...if someone comes along and your gut reaction is not to go with them, consider the whole picture.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

That's a tough one.

Consider that the sound of your band - unless you've got everything written out and scripted to the note - is a reflection of its members. What I'm saying is that even if you do find a replacement guitarist - and I hope that you can - you're going to have a different band.

Go into your search looking for someone you can work with. That means personality as much as musical vibe. Unless you have a strong vision for the music and the ability to communicate that vision in the manner of a professional musician, don't pick nits over the chops or musical influences of a potential replacement. Look for someone who's flexible, competent, easy to get along with, and reliable.

First of all, let me say that I personally have never played live with a band (I practiced for a while with one).

That being said, I think that so far you've gotten excellent advise. Of course the lead guitarist has to be competent, but he'll never be the same, or as good (in your mind).

What IS important is for him, or her, to be flexible, and easy to get along with. Otherwise the new person will upset the "karma", if you will, of the rest of the band. You have (counting yourself) two or three or four (you didn't specify band's size) people who have gigged together and have a relationship that goes beyond the musical.

Keeping your band's "personality" (not necessarily musical, but it'd be nice) and that personality will get screwed up if a new, forceful personality comes into the band.

Tuff situation, good luck, Dave.

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

I agree totally with Tie Dye. In the long run, attitude and compatability will be more important than hot licks or sick chops. The addition of a new personality will change the band's style and approach, and will permit the group to grow and move in directions that maybe it wouldn't have with the 'old' git player.

Peace & harmony

Paul

[url=http://www.TiredIronBand.com

Fender Strat

Hamer Sunburst

Guild D-25

DeArmond Jetstar (Spel!)

Washburn HB-15C

Peavey C-30

blah blah ho hum etc etc

Like Dave, I've never been in a band, but I've listened when my cousins talk about their bands. One is a drummer, the other a guitarist. The drummer has always worked with the same guitarist since junior high, but they recently got a new bass player. They're really psyched about him and were inspired to write a new CD.

The other cousin's band has had the same line up for as long as I can remember, and their not really getting the attention that his brother's band is getting.

So I guess I'm saying that change can be good if you embrace it and work with it.

PS. Dave, you've got mail

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

You're absolutely EVIL, George :D

Ty Tabor (King's X) said it as well, and he's absolutely right...to paraphrase:

"If you have a choice between two players, one who's an okay player and a really cool guy, and someone with phenominal chops that you sorta don't hit it off with as well, ALWAYS go with the cool guy."

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Well ,seriously, the only answer is to look for players who seem to be near your level & have similar (not necessarily the same) interests, then try playing with them & see how it goes.

At the risk of sounding flip again, the questions sorta like, "How do I find a new friend?"

You just try a few out & see!

This might be a good way/time to explore the possibility of accruing several players of different styles for a field to call on for different projects instead of focusing on a single all-or-nothing band.

yes all great advice and thank you.... But all in all it doesn't make the task at hand any easier. There is a great website called SDmusician.com and supposedly if you are in San Deigo and looking to play with someone then you will know what this sight it...

A long time ago I made a post and I got a lot of hits off of it. Granted many of them were contruction workers I did happen to find an awesome bass player who was a really cool guy. I just didn't want to waste his time as I was starting the project from scratch.... We have a long time to find a new guy so hopefully we will be blessed with a guitar god...

I'll keep you posted...

Matt

I've played in a lot of mands and tried out for a ton of them as well. A band is just like having a bunch of girlfriends. So far you have recieved good advice here but let me add a few things.

When trying out a prospective member,remember he is just as nervous as you are(probably worse)

Plan ahead and give him some material to learn before he comes to play. Include any information about tuning etc. so everyone is on the same page. I also like it when there is a freestyle jam so I can show off a little and see what type of interaction between the members. If the guy is indeed a flake tell him that he isn't going to work in the band. DO NOT LEAVE HIM HANGING. Nothing burns a bridge worse than trying out for a band and never hearing from them again.

note: you may substitute her for him anywhere in the prior paragraph.

Reach out and grab a clue.

Something Vicious

My solo crap

Tell me more about your band and plans.

Are you looking to play the local "San Diego" scene? Are you trying to get "signed" by a label? Make your own recordings? Tour outside the area?

What is the role you want the new person to play... "gun for hire"... play what we tell you... equal partner in the band... what? When and where to you rehearse, how often do you play out?

What about age, image, prior experience, goals... and so on?

after all I'm a SD based...

guitplayer

for a little glimpse of my direction check out my mp3... I'm playing the melody parts.

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

How Neat-o. Another San Diegan. Well here is the speal...

We are all 21 (except for the guy leaving)... We have our own practice space that can be used any time we want at any hour of the day and is free. We built with our bare hands and it is in San Marcos off of Twin Oaks Valley rd. exit off the 78.

This band started out as fun and we were liking the members so much and the music that we are creating that we decided to take it to the next level. We are playing shows (check the site for next show... or I can tell you. This Tuesday at Winstons. 11:30p.m.) and working hard. The only thing from keeping us from playing more music is the guitarist that is leaving. He is very talented but he is not quite on the same page. We want to not aim for getting famous, just be serious about making GOOD and ORIGNAL music (something that San Diego lacks (cept for Jason Mraz)) and have a lot of fun doing it. We want to play out as much as possible because it is fun and because it makes you better in more ways than one. I have been playing since I was five years old and just recently I have made the decision to take off next semester from school and pursue music 100%. I am back to my old habit of AT LEAST 2 hours of music a day by myself practice time plus additional band time. We have a girl drummer and she is very talented. We get emails frequently saying YOUR DRUMMER RULES! SO that is nice.

We have all pro-audio a Mackie 1604 vlz pro board with two mackie 1503 (I think) powered 3-way speakers for our own PA. I play a Taylor acoustic and a Les Paul electric.

As far as the new member goes I am looking for someone that can have a creative edge but won't be afraid of suggestion here and there. I understand people want to write their own music and parts and that is suggested in this band. I also want someone that can play lead and rythm and for the sake of like two or three old songs will play something that has allready been written. I don't think that is much to ask just to save those songs.... Writing new stuff is completely independent in the respects of each persons instrument. Most of all I don't want a rippen guitarist, I want someone to practice good musicianship and can PRACTICE USING SPACE!!! I wish more people could do that as it is sooo important.

The track sound pretty good for improv.... Btw the rhythm guitar is a little out of tune. Check our homepage and listen to the tunes....

Just click on the music link for the tunes...

click here

Thanks for the interest.

Archived