Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

For the folks who like musical extremes of any kind...

doc taz

I use my MT-2 Metal Zone + either my Ibanez DS-7, or HM-3 Hyper Metal, to get some nasty tones. If I use my wah in this situation, I may put my TS-5 Tube Screamer before it, set in the cleanest tone possible, and volume boosted, so it comes through.

The signal path:

guitar (RG560) > TS-5 > Dunlop wah > HM-3 (or DS-7)> MT-2 > amp > in FX loop: Hush noise gate pedal before the DOD GS30 multi FX (if used)

Settings:

TS5: level at 4:00

tone at 12:00

dist (gain) all the way off

HM-3: level at 1:00 or 2:00

low and high color mix between 12:00 and 2:00

dist anywhere between min to 10:00

DS-7: same dist and level settings as HM-3, tone at 11:00 or 12:00

MT-2: level to taste (dependent on amp's clean channel volume)

MT-2 eq settings: low at 2:00 or 3:00

high at 1:00

mid freq knob at 10:00

middle anywhere between 9:00 to 12:00

dist full

Then I act like a complete madman, and go nutz...

Thankfully, I have L-shaped cables, so I can patch the HM-3 (or DS-7) and MT-2 close together, which makes it easy to go completely clean when needed.

Anyone else with their own ideas of musical extremes? All genres welcome, do tell us. :)

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've tried putting all of my pedals in series before, but I always end up with a really crappy tone. The Big Muff Pi and the Fuzz Face don't play well with other distortions.

My Fuzz Face is home made, and I didn't have a metal box to put it in, so it picks up some Mexican radio station when I turn the volume knob on my guitar all the way down! It's kind of a funky pedal. :)

I'm pretty much a "guitar straight into amp" kind of player, unless I'm playing a clean amp. I've gotta have distortion of some kind.

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

Well, I play bass, but I do occasionally play real high up on the neck, so here goes. I'll take my J Dunlop crybaby, hook that into my Boss BassOD, into my Boss BassChorus, then back into amp in loop fashion. I'll usually keep both pickups active, but sometimes I just use the neck pup. What I like to do sometimes is turn the gain on the OD up pretty high, and thrash. Then, I'll turn the rate up on my chorus, so it has a real wobbly sound, and thrash some more. The wah comes in when I get up real high, with some Jimi-like stuff going on there, albeit still thrashing. I could be in a metal band, but I much prefer jam bands that use just a touch of distortion...but love all the funky effects, ya know. That's what I do...one of these days I'll pick up the Boss BF-3 (new Flanger) and either a Digitech BassSynth or the Ibanez one...I've heard good about both of those. See what I'll be able to do with that, eh?

Archived