Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tools for Record, uh, CD copying

telecasterguy

I guess we've come a long way from the days of playing an LP at 16 rpm to get the notes. I'm just getting back into playing after not doing much in many years and was wanting to learn a few songs that I never got down because I got so tired of the record copying. I have a program that slows down .wav files so I can actually hear all the notes that I'm trying to play, but I was wondering where I can get good, professionally done TAB also ? I have seen some places, but I wasn't sure if there was one that was better than most ? I saw one that sells TAB/Cassetes, but I'd like to have the TAB and the music in a .wav file (or .mp3), so I don't have to record it from the cassete. Plus I already have the music. Some of the TAB I've found on the Net is kinda 'rough', incomplete or I can't find what I'm looking for. Can anyone recommend a vendor that sells whatever would help me, whether it be just the TAB or TAB with CDs/Lyrics, some program or any combination ?

I'm kinda old (obviously), and it would just make me feel all warm and fuzzy if I could even fumble through 'Reeling In the Years' before I die. :D

Thanks for any suggestions.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, there isn't a really entirely great TAB website out on the Net, but some have treausres that others don't. That's kinda interesting about the "slow down .wav" thing. Never really seen one.

A favorite cheat site I like is guitartabs.cc . It has the Top 50 list of most looked at tabs. Stairway to Heaven, Hotel California, Tears in Heaven, and Sweet Home Alabama are top ones on the site. Some of the things, like STH, could be better and easier to play if on.

Actually, now that I think about it, there is one book that has totally perfect notes and chords for songs. This would be "The Beatles Complete Scores". It has both TAB and charted music. I bought it a year ago and find it a valuable item.

I'm sorry if neither of my posts have helped you, as I have mainly focused on the TAB issue.

Hey CowBellAllen,

Actually you did help. I've used OLGA for TAB, but haven't tried 'guitartabs' so I'll check it out. As far as the Beatles, there are several songs I'd like to learn there also. So your posts did help. Like the boy said while taking a leak in the ocean, "Every little bit helps". ;)

Thanks

I'll have to check the specifics & get back to you but there are at least two ways to approach this.

The first is to record the material to a sampler/software sequencer & play that back slow...but even better (except for your wallet), there are some devices out now that actually vary the playback speed of CDs!!

I'll check for the brands & repost.

Hey D,

I do have a program called 'SlowGold'. It will let you capture a section of a .way or .mp3 into a loop, slow it down, or actually even speed it up to whatever speed you need. It doesn't of course change the pitch. Man I wish I would've had this 25 yeras ago. I guess I was really getting a little lazy wanting the TAB too, but I figured if it's there use it. With the TAB and the song(s) slowed down, a guy should be able to get a tune learned pretty darn quickly. If you wanna check out 'SlowGold', it's by a compnay called 'WorldwideWoodShed', .com. I think the slightly restricted version, 'SlowBlast', is free. I think 'SlowGold' is like $35.00 for the download or $50.00 for the CD and manual.

Thanks for your input. :thu:

Took me a while to relocate this info; sorry!

A company called Superscope makes several devices that may help.

Besides tape cassette players that speed/slow playback by 1/2 speed (with a slightly murky output) they make CD players that work the same trick but give digitally clean sound results.

The least costly model is portable, can change either tempo or key by increments up to an octave (without affecting the other).

It also offers effects such as looping (for study of a particular section), vocal reduction (by cross-phasing, I guess) & has a fine-tune control.

Their top-line model has a built-in tape deck (for recording the altered material or loops), mixer, instrument inputs & power amp besides the above mentioned controls.

A full review can be found in the Sept. 2000 isue of Downbeat magazine's "Toolshed" section.

I'm sure you can find a copy at a library (or on micro-fische file)...or try: www.superscopetechnologies.com

Actually, after posting this I went back to the site & they have the Downbeat review (& others) available on-site to read; click "applications" or "press".

:idea:

An idea that you might try with these or other devices, if the speed changes are not sufficient, is to record the material at 1/2 speed & then play that recording at firther reduced speed!

Cool D,

That sounds like something I'd be interested in. I do have a program that slows down the tunes, but I would have to record what I want and burn it to a CD to play in a portable CD player. Plus I would have to have the 'full speed version' also, to practice with. I'm gonna be traveling a lot starting in the next month or so and that would be the ideal 'gadget' to use with my guitar and Fender 'Amp Can'.

Thanks

:thu:

Archived