Originally Posted by Notes_Norton
New software can be very confusing at first, and often the manuals are not a big help.

I think a big roadblock to user-friendliness is the computer itself, especially with Windows - latency, buffers, file paths, all that stuff. I've mentioned this story before, but it bears repeating. Sony wanted me to write a quick article on how to transfer files you'd made in Acid to a USB music player. They said it should only take 3-4 steps, and I could bash it out in an afternoon.

Over 20 steps later (23 IIRC), they got the article and were quite upset. "We told you to keep it short!" I told them if they would tell me which steps could be left out, I'd be happy to rewrite. None of the steps were superfluous, and almost all of them dealt with what had to be done at the computer end.

I've recommended to companies that they design software with levels, like a video game. Level one would look like an ADAT: Transport, level faders, meters, record buttons. Level 2 would add cut and paste editing...and so on. The only company that adopted that kind of approach was Cakewalk with their "lenses" feature. But it wasn't about levels, it was about a customizable workspace and those aren't the same thing.

I still think levels are the answer, but what do I know? I just use the stuff smile