Originally Posted by Anderton
Here's another diss: Someone wants to get into recording, tries out a DAW, and says "it isn't user-friendly."

Of course it isn't! It's duplicating the function of a half-million dollar studio of a couple decades ago...good luck figuring that out if you'd never done recording before.

This is why ever since I've been writing about recording I've encouraged first-timers to start out with a simple analog system. But back then DAWs were new and, while analog gear isn't wasn't as inexpensive as some of it is today, you could get something functional together that's good enough so that if you don't like what you're getting out of it, you can't blame the equipment.

But today, with a "free" computer (you've already bought it for something else), DAW software that's under $100. and you have to wait for someone to tell you that you need better monitor speakers than what's built into the sides of your laptop computer, and that - oh, there's a better way to get audio into your computer than a $50 microphone plugged into that little jack on your computer. You're in the univers where you can blame the equipment for your mediocre sounds.

But then, music production at home by the hobbyist musician is different now than it was in the 70s and 80s. Who needs a band and all the headaches when recording one, when you have all those virtual instruments?

But, for me, 50 years later, DAW software is still still not user-friendly.