Ha! Great topic!! There will be gnashing of teeth and rending of sackcloth.
I am going to go with the thread title, many of the gear disses I've heard were out in the real world rather than on the interwebz or in print. Bearing in mind I am a guitar player and infractions are many. I'd say go to Guitar Center and hang out for a bit but we can't really do that now - at least not up here in Bellingham. Inevitably, guitarists will test an amp by surfing the incredibly bad presets while playing one or two of the five or six licks they can sort of pull off, kinda. If you can get enough of them going at once it is truly a lovely sound. Reviews often complain about amps and their tones and you have to wonder if they ever dial anything in.

There is an archaic idea that will not die that the starting point for making a guitar amp sound good is to place all the knobs at noon. Back in the days when relatively low output pickups were standard and everybody used a Fender amp there was some truth to this, as long as it was a smaller amp. Even back then "nooning" a Fender Twin would make poodles stick to the ceiling in terror - loud and shrill.

Deeply connected to that absurdity is the guitarist who is way too loud and when the soundman tells them to turn their amp way down, protests "I can't get my tone unless I have my amp turned up." I've told such creatures "You don't have a tone, your amp does." That's always popular. "Get a smaller amp and turn this one down NOW." is beloved of all such guitarists. I witnessed a soundman friend of mine go up to a keyboard player one time and say "Turn your amp down or I will break your spine." That was effective, he was a large, scary looking individual - don't try this at home!!!!

The seemingly universal disdain for Peavey gear. Not everything they make is great but there is so much bang for the buck under that trademark it is amazing. Yes, most of the speakers they put in their guitar amps are not great. Yes (just like almost everybody else), most of their presets are horrible. NO, do not turn all the knobs to noon. It won't work out so well...

OK, written word. I would like to hear more technical terms - be specific. Even Tape Op reviews do this and I like that publication. It is true that we don't always have "correct terms" for some of the sounds that we hear. I am certainly guilty of some of these gaffes. Technically speaking, how would you describe some terms? I read a review some time back comparing 2 ribbon mics made by the same company and declaring that the more expensive of the two mics had a "euphonious" sound. What exactly is "euphonious"? Does it mean that all the angels heard the tones and just pooped themselves? Maybe it's hard to describe in technical terms or just doesn't sound as good if you use those terms? I've used that term myself so not really pointing any fingers.

I will watch this thread, should be fun!!!! Cheers, Kuru

Last edited by KuruPrionz; 09/28/20 04:25 PM.

Tones can't substitute for composition/arrangement but they offer useful suggestions-overt and subliminal. Spices are no substitute for high-quality food, but they do make food taste more interesting.