Originally Posted by Markyboard
But since the Mac / PC thing inevitably creeps into these type discussions I’ll also add I have no BSOD crashes, never had a virus (I’m always connected), no audio glitches, low latency and basically the shit just works all the time. And this was true for when I was on Mac almost 20 years ago as well. So what am I doing right?

I'm with you...as I said, "I'm one of those people who does Windows updates...the only time I got bit was when there was a power outage, and my uninterruptible power supply didn't have enough juice to keep the computer going for the duration of the "do not turn off your computer" phase."

BUT I've had issues with both Windows and Mac. It's unavoidable, although always fixable. The issue with me is I do so much testing of betas and have a hardware-intensive setup. I'm always pushing my computers to their limits, and it's a testimony to both platforms that they've performed as well as they have under the circumstances.

The reason for the complaints about Windows is that the permutations and combination of hardware and software are staggering. With Windows, one poorly written driver that's incompatible with some piece of hardware can bring the system to its knees. For example, until recently the 1909 Windows update was blocked because of issues with the Realtek Bluetooth driver. The people who have problems are the ones you hear about; millions of systems are updated without issues. But also, diagnosis is getting better. The Windows troubleshooting options keep improving, and the Intel driver assistant is great.

I do think Windows could be more explicit about updates ("The PC may restart several times, and seeing a blank screen for a period of time is expected"), and this would make people less nervous about updating. And Apple could be more transparent as well - it keeps telling me to update to Catalina, but doesn't say "If do update, you're going to lose a bunch of programs." You'd think it could look into the computer and see there are 32-bit programs.