I have sort of a love/hate relationship with genre identification - I've posted many threads on the KC over the years asking how people would classify certain specific types of music. Usually the reason why I do it is because it makes it easier to identify similar music that I have not discovered if you can put a label on it. That said, generally I think labels suck and some are just really stupid. I remember subscribing to Rolling Stone magazine and seeing them list "Top 10 Alternative". What is that? Is the #1 Alternative, the MOST alternative? Wouldn't that be LEAST popular? If musicians wore earplugs while they wrote a song so that even they didn't hear it as they wrote it, then put the recording in an envelope and buried it in the ground, could you get any more Alternative than that? Wouldn't that be #1? Never made sense to have top 10 of stuff decidedly not pop. Later they changed it to "college rock" which made a little more sense, but is still not a genre, it's a demographic. If you want a new genre, I can create one for you right now. That doesn't mean you or anybody else will like it, or that it will be liked by enough people be more than a blip on the radar.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.