I find the question amusing. What are you going to record on next, a bonsai tree? The definition of a computer will keep changing as quantum methods and the like come along, but its a fundamental tool. Sooner or later, everyone has to sit in front of a BOX, if not several and turn their music into a repeatable object. Even a Suzanne Ciani concert has to be preserved by video. You certainly can't buy MIDI files of that! cool

There's another point. Having gone from audio cassettes to 64 GB flash drives, conversion has been a slow constant for me. Dave Smith makes a smart point about a good hardware synth always being the same INSTRUMENT and not subject to the OS changes or problematic upgrades of general computers. I keep a little hardware for that reason. OTOH, I have become an Apple Logic adherent out of self-defense. My EXS sampler files have all made the easy leap across the generations of Macs. That mega-folder holds Autosamples of my old, deceased Korgs, Soundfont E-Mu libraries and numerous colorful finds like Puremagnetik's Toy Box. That's been my growing core library for years and upgrades are often easily managed with smart companies like G-Media. For me personally, its the safest way to preserve the largest amount of gear without having my old den full of Packrat-brand stands. ("Betcha can't buy just one!")

So no, computer-based recording will not become a blip. Its far too flexible and even the most dedicated computer still does 50 things on the side that are invaluable. However, if you don't make multiple backups, forget everything I said. You are a ninny and the EMF gremlins are going to eat you.

"I’m thinking of writing a cookbook.
I’ve got the title.
'Dark Side of the Spoon!'"
~ Nick Mason, drummer for Pink Floyd

https://soundcloud.com/david-emm-1