Originally Posted by Nathanael_I
The big thing happening in recording is audio-over-IP preamps. Rupert Neve has Dante pre's. So does Grace Designs, Pyramix, Sonosax, DAD (Avid OEMs it), etc. This means that the audio goes directly onto the network from world-class preamps. From there it can go anywhere, even multiple destinations at once.

Dante and the other Audio over IP protocols is really just a different kind of wiring. The bonus you get with it is that when you have the system set up properly, you have a "virtual patch bay" and can send audio anywhere you want on your network. When it comes to a large facility, it can be a great cost-saver, but it requires a whole different way of support and operation.

I would expect that preamp makers like Neve, Sonosax, and Grace would put excellent A/D converters between their preamp and the Dante chip at the output of the box. Similarly, I would expect A/D converter makers like DAD and Merging Technologies to put excellent preamps ahead of their converters. And then there are companies like Focusrite and Prism who have been making both analog and digital hardware for a long time and make good stuff to which they can (and have) attach a Dante chip. But you can get a Behringer digital snake for your X32 mixer, too.

But, too, we're starting to see the "Portastudio on steroids" come back, too. The new TASCAM 24- and 16-channel mixer/recorder setups can do a perfectly competent multitrack music recording with no outboard computers - or you can use them with one if that's your choice, or you can "build your own instruments" from an outboard computer that isn't used as a DAW. And for a different kind of work, Zoom has a new mixer/recorder unit that's tailored to podcasting. And, being real hardware, they have a sensible and understandable user interface, good for the last generation, and a revaluation for the next generation.

But the crystal ball is very cloudy.