Originally Posted by Anderton

I can see a few possible doomsday outcomes...

* People hack computers that weren't really designed for recording to do recording.

Isn't that what we're doing now, and for about the last 25 years or so? Computers were never designed for recording. Apple made it a little easier than Microsoft, but you can't plug 20 mics into an Apple without adding some outboard equipment.

* Linux-based PCs become "the computer for the rest of us" by fulfilling needs not served by Apple and Microsoft.

"The rest of us" probably isn't going to get any bigger, but that's pretty much where Linux is today. I can run Mixbus on an Apple, a Microsoft, or on Linux, but I can't connect every audio interface to the Linux computer and get it to do all that it can do on the other platforms. Makers of multichannel audio interfaces just don't see enough business there to bother making a driver and support software that works the same as what they provide for the "us" platforms.
* A company like Yamaha or Native Instruments creates a computer designed solely for music...
Yamaha did that years ago.

But I think it's a possibility that the golden age of pro audio riding on the coattails of consumer-oriented computers may be in its twilight years.

That's really a great thing if it's true. But people don't like single-purpose devices. More people do field recording on there phones than on their Zoom, TASCAM, and Sony handhelds. And the dedicated hard disk recorders like the Mackie, Alesis, and a couple of others were short-lived because users could do so much more with their computers - or at least they thought so, and some do. I don't see a 200-track dedicated hardware recorder in my lifetime. Maybe you will - you're a few years younger than me, and have more influence on the industry as I do.

Good luck.