This is respecting the entertainment landscape of the US, can't speak for other countries...

We don't have the freelance entertainment outlets of the 50s. DJs were the ones who promoted the new music without being attached to puppet strings. Radio stations didn't stick to playlists set in concrete, nor were the playlists dictated by a program director (or advertisers pressuring them), nor were the songs broadcast out of a central location like today. Beancounters didn't own the stations, and neither did faceless corporations. Television stars like Ed Sullivan owned their shows and their decision on which entertainment to feature were their own. Entertainment outlets back then were pretty much a wild frontier before the corporations took over. Record companies gave musicians and producers free rein and didn't interfere with the recording sessions.

Record companies promoted the advancement of the arts by promoting new music. Today they are only concerned with the advancement of profits. That means sticking with genres that are tried and true sellers. The focus grew more to the pretty face instead of talented musicians. They are far less enthusiastic about developing new talent and promoting new music with uncertainties of return on investment.

I haven't listened to broadcast radio or TV for almost twenty years. The format is too repetitive and monotonous, and during my business travels I learned of a lot of good music new and old that isn't getting played on radio. Even during the 1980s, the radio stations only played new original music on Sundays after 11PM. It doesn't help that I live in an area where the variety of genres on radio is very limited (classic rock, modern country, hip-hop, oldies... yawn). I have an open mind to new music, and I can honestly say that in the last twenty years any new music I discovered was through outlets other than broadcast. I work as an engineer at a production plant with radios on the floor playing classic rock, and many times I will hear the same sequence of songs more than once during the day. Over. And over.

Back in the 50s the only outlets for hearing new music was radio, TV, or live performances. As the broadcast outlets became more homogenized (and impersonal) through corporations, they drove away listeners. Today we have internet outlets but there's no central medium for the former radio listeners. While internet is free from the constraints of beancounter image conscious record companies, it isn't all good. I check out a lot of new music from input of others; some I like, most of it is crap.

Frankly, it was a whole different world before 1960 and was fertile ground for new genres to get heard.