Originally Posted by Nowarezman
Originally Posted by Mike Rivers
Maybe somebody should remind UA and MOTU and Focusrite (and Intel, Asus, MSI, and Gigabyte too) that you can plug Thunderbolt devices into a USB-C connector and those are starting to show up on Windows motherboards.

Not all USB-C ports are Thunderbolt- compatible. Sometimes the PC or mobo manufacturer will include the reassuring little lightening bolt icon above the port, which I wish they all did, but they don't all do that. In which cases you have to drill into the manual or manufacturer website, perhaps supplemented by support.

And this only adds to the confusion - the same physical connector for two entirely different protocols. My understanding is that Thunderbolt can also do USB-C, but USB-C only can't do Thunderbolt. I wrote an article about this for Sweetwater's InSync - What Thunderbolt3 and USB -C Mean to Engineers and Musicians. It got a huge amount of clicks, and no one said I was a moron, so I guess I got it right.

I'm not quite at the Mike Rivers level of sticking with Windows XP - I update Windows 10, lemming-like, when MS says I need to - but I'm not seeing any reason to rush away from USB 2 and 3. When I reviewed Focusrite's Claret Thunderbolt interface, yes... I was impressed. Who wouldn't be by no detectable latency? Then again, I've logged a huge number of hours onstage in my life playing guitar and being 10 feet away from the amp. So 10 ms latency isn't a big deal to me.

I think companies have forgotten completely about the end user, the problems they're trying to solve, and what will work best. Marketing needs to talk to engineering. Seriously. And marketing needs to have smart people involved...

Last edited by Anderton; 10/06/19 05:05 AM.