My older co-workers used to tell us about the crazy bills they saw here at the local event hall (otherwise famous for later hosting televised pro wrestling) in the late '60s and early '70s. There was a show there almost every night and it was packed because people just knew to go... it sounded awful (as a kid I called it the giant Gomer Pyle building, because it was an enormous version of those huts that Gomer and the Marines lived in on the show) but everybody was too drunk and stoned to care. Hendrix famously had a meltdown onstage, there, unhappy with the new amps he'd just gotten as an endorsement deal and said into the mic (there's recordings of the show) "SUNN amps are terrible..."

Anyway, acts on their way from New Orleans to Texas or vice versa or Memphis or wherever would converge... so the stories go that they'd show up to see a show that headlined by somebody like CS&N or America and the opener would come out and it was some band called Black Sabbath... just completely at odds but passing through town on the same night.

Another guy told me was working on the crew at the university basketball arena for a show the SGA booked for Jackson Browne, early on, who showed up with just David Lindley... but the band booked by the agent to open the show was The Doobie Brothers. He said Browne was very cool and had them reverse the order of the show... so he went on first but after the crowd was there, and told the crowd to stay because a good full band was going to play later and rock the house. He also said The Doobies were loud as hell...