Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hit It!

Discussion about all things drum and percussion related - acoustic to electronic, live performance and recording.

177239419_NewHitIt.jpg.9060e308da90be1d4585361999a35681.jpg.4b6c92a39c57eb50d04104cf7182b3a0.jpg

1,789 topics in this forum

• 1 reply
  1. Keith McMillen BopPad

• 3 replies
    • 5 replies
  2. Concertina Player

• 1 reply
  3. Irish instrument

• 1 reply
    • 0 replies
  4. On the sound of Zildian Ks

• 2 replies
    • 8 replies
    • 0 replies
  5. FGDP = Finger Drum 1 2

• 46 replies
    • 2.4k views
  6. music genres

• 5 replies
    • 1 reply
    • 1.4k views
    • 13 replies
    • 2.4k views
    • 1 reply
    • 1.6k views
    • 2 replies
    • 18 replies
    • 9k views
    • 3 replies
    • 1.5k views
    • 11 replies
    • 1.8k views
    • 3 replies
    • 1.2k views
  7. RIP Jim Gordon

• 0 replies
    • 1k views
    • 5 replies
    • 1.5k views
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
  8. Roland Handsonic

• 5 replies
    • 2.3k views
    • 4 replies
    • 1.4k views
    • 3 replies
    • 1.5k views
    • 24 replies
    • 30.4k views
    • 6 replies
    • 1.8k views
    • 5 replies
    • 1.2k views
  9. Drum Solo

• 1 reply
    • 1.3k views
  10. The Ludwig Acrolite

• 6 replies
    • 1.3k views
    • 4 replies
    • 1.6k views
  11. ddrum NIO

• 9 replies
    • 1.9k views
    • 2 replies
    • 1.4k views
    • 13 replies
    • 4.7k views
    • 12 replies
    • 2.2k views
  12. My new cymbal policy.

• 6 replies
    • 1.3k views
  13. Happy Drummer

• 1 reply
    • 1.3k views
  14. RIP Neil Peart

• 5 replies
    • 3.1k views
    • 4 replies
    • 1.9k views
  • Trending posts on MPN

• As far as I’m concerned … the strength of the Kronos are the synth engines.   
    • Agree. As i've mentioned above on first page, I have both the Casio Ct-S1000V and The CK-61 (which i got stupid cheap used).  Since I got the CK61, I don't think I've touched the Casio.  Bonehead simple and super fun.  Plug in an Iphone (with Vb3m) with only 1 cable and you have a roaring, drawbar controlled, B3 in your lap.
    • We opened for a “shall remain unnamed band”  years ago, who did their show to a special “live” recording of their songs. Longer, arrangements, endings instead of fades, and so on. The group played along with it but that was mostly for show.  The musicians were not happy about it, but were happy about the money they were paid (they got 10 times more per person than we did).  Me? I'd rather play live. But once you “make it” you are not as independent as you were when you weren't famous. You have management, in the physical media days you had the labels telling you what to do, you need to participate in promotion (interviews, etc.) and so many other things are planned for you. It's a well-oiled machine. Very little is left to chance. We got a taste of that while working for Motown, but we didn't sign the contract because our manager wanted a better deal (he wanted us to actually make money on any recordings).   I don't know how extensive this is, or whether or not TS has any pre-recording going on. She doesn't play my favorite kind of music, but she does what she does quite well.  Notes ♫
    • We are slooooooowwwwwwly adding more 80s synth stuff--our typical audiences that used to be "grew up in the 70s" have now shifted.   The few we do, like Don't You Forget About Me, get a fantastic reaction. In the 12 years since my gigging revival, I've done synths (70s/80s exclusively, nothing more modern needed) on these.  There are a few clonewheels I'm not including even though in a pinch they could do some synth sounds. In order, and with notes: Motif - eh...was ok. Virus b - kicked all kinds of butt.  I should not have sold it. Kurzweil pc361 - i'm not great with Vast, the sounds are good but it was tedious programming. Modx - better than the Motif, partly because the FM but also just sounded better IMO.  I got a library named "Analog Xperience" that was nice. Kurzweil Forte - see above...this one is now a controller in my home office, not sure what I'm going to do with it.  It seems to be over the booting problem it had, still has a pitch wheel issue so I disabled it (my pc361 does as well).   I would trust it at a gig at this point if it wasn't my only board so it's possible that it could start coming out with me again.  I love the form factor and action, don't like programming it. Novation Summit - yeah, kicks butt.  I've heard it described as a "hi-fi Virus" and that seems accurate. Nord Stage 3 - this is currently my only keyboard at almost every gig.  I find the A1 Lead engine excellent.  It is the fastest synth I've owned as far as me dialing up sounds.  Last night in fact I made a patch for Time after Time and a couple other synth-heavy tunes...done in minutes.   I like having a single keyboard and my intention is to add guitar to my "arsenal" so having just one keyboard would keep the gear amount down if I do.  Otherwise I'd bring the Summit or my Sk pro out--but as it is, the Nord covers the same ground (albeit maybe not quite as good in the areas where those specialize) and I don't feel like I'm missing much.  The only real compromise to me is having to play everything on one keyboard, but patch remain/song mode with footswitch/splits etc on the Stage make it pretty easy to have multiple things going.   I don't even mind playing piano on the compact action, which really surprised me!  If we got much more synth-heavy I'd definitely bring the Summit out.  I'm probably going to sell the Sk Pro, even though I really like it...  
    • Not to mention... no midi support. Even when it was added (10.1? I forgot), most music s/w companied didn't roll out osx versions for a while after that. I remember booting into OS9 a lot with my Titanium 500 G4.
  • In MPN’s GEARLAB

• My trusty Typhon can:   "Audio over USB -Typhon gets recognised as Audio/USB device. This feature enables Typhon to act as an audio input and be recorded from a computer directly without the use of a sound card. This feature got implemented to support the previous described feature so as the user doesn’t have to connect the physical audio out to his sound card, and so on create a ground loop, which cause a constant buzzing at Typhon’s audio."   https://www.dreadbox-fx.com/typhon/  
    • Ipad, yes, but from my experience with the Modx that is due to being able to set the Modx as the audio interface in the audio app(s) I used.  In other words, unlike sending analog audio to a mixer or speaker where the sending unit doesn't care or know what is connected, I had to set the Modx as the destination or it wouldn't have sent anything. I'm not sure if a synth that can send audio over usb would be able to do so with another keyboard, unless it had a way to do the same...never thought about it though (which synths can send audio over usb?)  
  • Come join MPN’s Clubs!

• Blog Entries