Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hit It!

Discussion about all things drum and percussion related - acoustic to electronic, live performance and recording.

177239419_NewHitIt.jpg.9060e308da90be1d4585361999a35681.jpg.4b6c92a39c57eb50d04104cf7182b3a0.jpg

1,789 topics in this forum

• 1 reply
  1. Keith McMillen BopPad

• 3 replies
    • 5 replies
    • 1.1k views
  2. Concertina Player

• 1 reply
  3. Irish instrument

• 1 reply
    • 0 replies
  4. On the sound of Zildian Ks

• 2 replies
    • 8 replies
    • 0 replies
  5. FGDP = Finger Drum 1 2

• 46 replies
    • 2.5k views
  6. music genres

• 5 replies
    • 1 reply
    • 1.4k views
    • 13 replies
    • 2.4k views
    • 1 reply
    • 1.6k views
    • 2 replies
    • 18 replies
    • 9.1k views
    • 3 replies
    • 1.5k views
    • 11 replies
    • 1.8k views
    • 3 replies
    • 1.2k views
  7. RIP Jim Gordon

• 0 replies
    • 1.1k views
    • 5 replies
    • 1.6k views
    • 0 replies
    • 1k views
    • 0 replies
  8. Roland Handsonic

• 5 replies
    • 2.3k views
    • 4 replies
    • 1.4k views
    • 3 replies
    • 1.6k views
    • 24 replies
    • 30.6k views
    • 6 replies
    • 1.9k views
    • 5 replies
    • 1.3k views
  9. Drum Solo

• 1 reply
    • 1.4k views
  10. The Ludwig Acrolite

• 6 replies
    • 1.3k views
    • 4 replies
    • 1.7k views
  11. ddrum NIO

• 9 replies
    • 2k views
    • 2 replies
    • 1.5k views
    • 13 replies
    • 4.8k views
    • 12 replies
    • 2.3k views
  12. My new cymbal policy.

• 6 replies
    • 1.4k views
  13. Happy Drummer

• 1 reply
    • 1.4k views
  14. RIP Neil Peart

• 5 replies
    • 3.2k views
    • 4 replies
    • 2k views
  • Trending posts on MPN

• Though the MAG use the HX3, which you could use with any keyboard of your choice, you could grab a Mojo and use both as it is and as a controller for the HX3, I am planning to get the split Mojo, and use both as controller for my HX3, but also use it alone if/when I need/want that.    
    • Because I'm lazy and always looking for fastest way to transcribe music -- both my own compositions and obscure jazz tunes - I decided to do a quick search for AI tools for music transcription.  One search sent me to Klangio.   The website has a number of distinct products that claim to generate sheet music/lead sheets from various sources, including youtube videos, MIDI, MP3.   https://klang.io/   Has anyone experimented with such AI programs for transcription? Any recommendations?   If any of these types of programs could accurately create just a lead sheet quickly - let alone more advanced transcriptions --  I'd gladly sign up and pay a reasonable fee.    
    • That's true but it is another layer.  When I had two girls in the band a friend of mine is a licensed therapist and guitarist told me a few things. He said basically you have a relationship with women in the band with no sex and playing music is an intimate thing so bonds are also formed that way. 
    • Well, I can't resist when I see a cheap, not working synth... Last week I saw an M-Audio Venom, in apparently good shape, sold as "only MIDI controller, unknown fault". It was 75€, shipped, so I pulled the trigger.   It arrived yesterday but won't have time to even open the box until tomorrow. But I couldn't resist to open this thread, just in cause someone has gone already this way 😅   More to come!   Jose
  • In MPN’s GEARLAB

• In V.A.S.T., be it the original V.A.S.T. or the newer vaster V.A.S.T. with Cascade and Dynamic, there are several ways you can use internal DSP sources with Samples:   1. Samples only 2. Internal DSP Oscillators only without any Sample 3. Samples mixed with internal DSP Oscillators   In the new V.A.S.T., you can certainly use a multi-sampled Keymap, alongside an internal anti-aliased DSP Osc, e.g. a 2-block SINE+ for a single Layer, or even an aliased one like the old SAW+.   For larger AA DSP Oscs, e.g. the 4-block SAW, you'd need to use Cascade Mode, a passthrough signal and a Mixer ALG.   So these aren't mutually exclusive. Instead, what the manual seems to indicate is that if you want to do a traditional analogue subtractive synth, then you'd rather not use a Keymap, which makes sense since analogue subtractive synths don't use them at all.   You can  still use a Keymap's sample Envelope if it is set to Natural, even if the Sample itself isn't sounding via the Layer, say, if you have simply a 4-block AA DSP SAW. That SAW block effectively cuts off any of the Sample signal. However, as the AMPENV mode is set to Natural, it is the factory AMPENV for that multi-Sampled Keymap that is applied to the Layer.   The Natural envelopes have more details than can be produced with a User AMPENV.   The thing that happens with setting the Keymap to Silence is that it sets each key's amplitude to the same maximum amplitude. Maybe that's what you need in a certain program, but sometimes, if you are doing an emulative program, you could be better off actually referencing the emulation's Keymaps Sample although the latter isn't heard, with the corresponding Natural Envelope, or of course, you could just go into User Mode and make your own envelope.   Hope this helps.
    • Sweetwater might accept to deliver to Canada, but you will be charged transport accordingly and as anything going USA to Canada your item will go through customs and it is always possible to end up with extra fees - sometimes very expensive. I personally had a very bad experience about 10 years ago and promised myself to never import again from the USA unless the seller confirms on paper he pays for all possible customs and duties extra fees.   Buying Kurzweil products in Canada has always been complicated. In the 1990s a few stores in the province kept a couple of them, but if you wanted something they didn't have you had to order sight unseen and wait months to get your purchase. That is how I bought my MIDIboard, K1200 and finally, around 2000, a PC2X. I hated the Fatar action on the PC2X from day one and swore to never buy a keyboard sight unseen ever again.
    • How is the Canadian Distribution looking in 2024?   What's the alternative if there's still no distribution? Sweetwater? Thomann?
  • Come join MPN’s Clubs!

• Blog Entries