Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Guitar Forum

Whether it's info on a scale or mode, advice on buying that new effect pedal, or just a good discussion about guitars, this forum is the place for you. Our own little virtual pub. Come on in and stay a while...

The Guitar Forum.jpg

34,123 topics in this forum

• 538 replies
    • 168.7m views
    • 72 replies
    • 43.9k views
    • 5.6k replies
    • 20.1m views
  1. SFX 101 1 2

• 38 replies
    • 18.6k views
    • 12 replies
    • 67.5k views
    • 1 reply
    • 37.4k views
  2. cool new effects 1 2 3 4 65

• 1.9k replies
    • 1.1m views
  3. What's in your ears? 1 2 3 4 34

• 995 replies
    • 108.7k views
    • 32 replies
    • 1.2k views
    • 5 replies
    • 5 replies
    • 22 replies
    • 1.7k views
    • 85 replies
    • 2k views
    • 4 replies
    • 22 replies
    • 6 replies
    • 10 replies
    • 418 replies
    • 433.9k views
    • 337 replies
    • 8.8k views
    • 0 replies
    • 47 replies
    • 26.7k views
    • 0 replies
    • 8 replies
    • 7 replies
    • 4 replies
    • 2 replies
    • 4 replies
    • 5 replies
    • 49 replies
    • 7 replies
  4. Pickups & pots

• 25 replies
    • 12 replies
    • 41 replies
    • 7 replies
    • 4 replies
    • 7 replies
  5. NGD!

• 25 replies
    • 24 replies
    • 88 replies
    • 24.8k views
    • 20 replies
  • Trending posts on MPN

• I tried it also, using a link to a Nancy Wilson recording.  Unfortunately, the results were quite off.  There is another program there called "Melody scanner" which I haven't tried yet, but might be more geared towards simple lead sheets.   
    • Don't want to bust on you, but research - or asking here - would have told you that there is no Kontakt for iPads, and no way to directly load Kontakt instruments to an iPad. Roland Cloud I know nothing about, but haven't heard of an iOS app associated with it. Again, I don't mean to knock you on this; I think you'll eventually be fine with your iPad. It took me a while to get my iPad system to the point where I could leave my laptop home. There are new apps coming out and developers doing some very cool things on the platform. You didn't waste your money.   There is an indirect way to get Kontakt sounds onto in iPad but unfortunately you're on the wrong computer platfform. Logic and Mainstage include a plugin called Autosampler. You can create a Logic sampler instrument (.exs) from any virtual instrument plugin that runs in Logic or Mainstage. The iOS app AudioLayer can import .exs instruments. That's how I got my Native Instruments piano into my iPad. Of course you don't get 100% Kontakt functionality, with their UI, scripting, etc. but for a lot of sounds it works fine.
    • I just gave Piano2Notes a spin with their free test.     Here is what I fed it.     I also told it that it was in the key of A, 4/4 time and "classical" because the only options were classical or pop.     Here is the result (first 20 seconds of music are free).  
    • Yeah, retail scamming is huge right now. They get onto the Google Shopping results too, with low prices and websites that look like the real ones. When I find myself on one of those, I always start fresh from the actual site and search for the item that way. It never shows up for that low price.
    • just to clarify, I wasn't saying you need TB speeds to use music apps with external media. What I was trying to say was that, if your choice is between an 8/512 macbook or a 16/256, I'd choose the latter, because whatever you choose to do with the computer in the future (music or otherwise), if you eventually need more storage, you can expand the storage externally without significant compromise (regardless of the task at hand), whereas if you eventually need more RAM, you're screwed.   So yes, even if you need more space (which you may not), you can get that at less cost, you don't need to go to TB for this application alone, as we've already discussed.     The main options are (alphabetically) Camelot Pro, Cantabile, Gig Performer, and VST Live (Steinberg). All have free versions or free demos. You can also see some recent discussions about these at https://forums.musicplayer.com/topic/186819-recommend-me-a-windows-vst-host-for-live-gigs/    
  • In MPN’s GEARLAB

• In V.A.S.T., be it the original V.A.S.T. or the newer vaster V.A.S.T. with Cascade and Dynamic, there are several ways you can use internal DSP sources with Samples:   1. Samples only 2. Internal DSP Oscillators only without any Sample 3. Samples mixed with internal DSP Oscillators   In the new V.A.S.T., you can certainly use a multi-sampled Keymap, alongside an internal anti-aliased DSP Osc, e.g. a 2-block SINE+ for a single Layer, or even an aliased one like the old SAW+.   For larger AA DSP Oscs, e.g. the 4-block SAW, you'd need to use Cascade Mode, a passthrough signal and a Mixer ALG.   So these aren't mutually exclusive. Instead, what the manual seems to indicate is that if you want to do a traditional analogue subtractive synth, then you'd rather not use a Keymap, which makes sense since analogue subtractive synths don't use them at all.   You can  still use a Keymap's sample Envelope if it is set to Natural, even if the Sample itself isn't sounding via the Layer, say, if you have simply a 4-block AA DSP SAW. That SAW block effectively cuts off any of the Sample signal. However, as the AMPENV mode is set to Natural, it is the factory AMPENV for that multi-Sampled Keymap that is applied to the Layer.   The Natural envelopes have more details than can be produced with a User AMPENV.   The thing that happens with setting the Keymap to Silence is that it sets each key's amplitude to the same maximum amplitude. Maybe that's what you need in a certain program, but sometimes, if you are doing an emulative program, you could be better off actually referencing the emulation's Keymaps Sample although the latter isn't heard, with the corresponding Natural Envelope, or of course, you could just go into User Mode and make your own envelope.   Hope this helps.
    • Sweetwater might accept to deliver to Canada, but you will be charged transport accordingly and as anything going USA to Canada your item will go through customs and it is always possible to end up with extra fees - sometimes very expensive. I personally had a very bad experience about 10 years ago and promised myself to never import again from the USA unless the seller confirms on paper he pays for all possible customs and duties extra fees.   Buying Kurzweil products in Canada has always been complicated. In the 1990s a few stores in the province kept a couple of them, but if you wanted something they didn't have you had to order sight unseen and wait months to get your purchase. That is how I bought my MIDIboard, K1200 and finally, around 2000, a PC2X. I hated the Fatar action on the PC2X from day one and swore to never buy a keyboard sight unseen ever again.
    • How is the Canadian Distribution looking in 2024?   What's the alternative if there's still no distribution? Sweetwater? Thomann?
  • Come join MPN’s Clubs!

• Blog Entries