Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Keyboard Corner

Synths, pianos, software, analog, digital, modeling, virtual instruments, programming tips - this is the place on the web for discussions, debates, opinions and assistance...and the occasional sports thread.

11594965545_282c74d7ea_o.jpg.e3b7814ba5300332fb257afa0b249ec5.jpg   

Subforums

1. Repairs and Mods

Repairs, modifications, tips, tricks and other suggestions for ailing keyboards and synthesizers.

66,874 topics in this forum

• 3 replies
    • 53.4k views
    • 0 replies
    • 37.3k views
    • 7 replies
    • 33 replies
    • 32 replies
  1. Hammond M-Solo 1 2 3 4 5

• 133 replies
    • 9.8k views
    • 36 replies
    • 18 replies
    • 5 replies
    • 103 replies
    • 3.1k views
    • 0 replies
    • 12 replies
    • 9 replies
    • 161 replies
    • 7.5k views
    • 11 replies
    • 8 replies
    • 14 replies
    • 27 replies
    • 39 replies
  2. Gear Wish List

• 25 replies
    • 9 replies
    • 26 replies
  3. Bluetooth MIDI Adapters

• 12 replies
    • 6 replies
    • 35 replies
    • 1.7k views
    • 21 replies
  4. Hammond Tease XK-4 1 2 3 4 7

• 207 replies
    • 18.2k views
    • 72 replies
    • 4.4k views
    • 0 replies
    • 12 replies
    • 1.8k views
  5. Yamaha Triple Pedals

• 12 replies
    • 4 replies
  6. i-VI

• 27 replies
    • 5 replies
    • 30 replies
    • 890 replies
    • 266k views
    • 57 replies
    • 2.1k views
    • 13 replies
  7. Quick Roland question.

• 13 replies
    • 39 replies
  • Trending posts on MPN

• The synth section on the NS4 is deep enough for me, and there's three engines to work with.  The NS3 was no slouch either.  Sure, a real analog synth would sound a bit ballsier, much in the way a real Hammond and Leslie combo would be ballsier than its simulated B3 section.  It also helps that there's a ton of programs ready to go for popular songs via the forum.   Having all the sound generation on a single master board makes it easy for me to step through setlists during the gig vs. coordinating multiple pieces of gear between songs.  I remind myself of that every time I start itching for another keyboard.
    • My best man 50 years ago. He went on to fame and fortune, I just taught……
    • This guy did a whole tour playing synth parts using typical electric guitar(s) with Midi Guitar 2 software.  Ok, not metal, but metal adjacent since all this prog rock stuff seems to have been taken over by metal folks 😉    
    • Here's my theory on this: Crumar offers basic features where others offer more. I believe this allows them to then keep the price down. A couple examples:  No dedicated organ out of the Gemini module nor the Mojo; no 11 pin for an external leslie.  They offer an 11 pin accessory sold separately; mojo is mono timbral so although they offer non organ sounds they cant be played simultaneously; one set of drawbars rather than two, you can purchase a 2nd set of drawbars as an accessory if you really need them.  This makes sense to me, why pay a markup on a keyboard for features you may not ever use.  So if you later want to use an 11 pin leslie then buy the accessory but why pay for an accessory that you don't need?  This has been my unsubstantiated theory on their lower than typical price points.    As far as quality I believe they have switched parts suppliers and since doing that their 'complaints' have substantially decreased. I had big issues with the gemini module, when the new internal boards were received they had to be retrofitted into the unit. The new boards came from a new supplier and .... not one single problem since the new parts were installed a few years ago.  
    • I do play different musical styles than you, but my Prophet 6 stays home most / all of the times. It’s too easy to do it all on a Nord Stage. 
  • In MPN’s GEARLAB

• In V.A.S.T., be it the original V.A.S.T. or the newer vaster V.A.S.T. with Cascade and Dynamic, there are several ways you can use internal DSP sources with Samples:   1. Samples only 2. Internal DSP Oscillators only without any Sample 3. Samples mixed with internal DSP Oscillators   In the new V.A.S.T., you can certainly use a multi-sampled Keymap, alongside an internal anti-aliased DSP Osc, e.g. a 2-block SINE+ for a single Layer, or even an aliased one like the old SAW+.   For larger AA DSP Oscs, e.g. the 4-block SAW, you'd need to use Cascade Mode, a passthrough signal and a Mixer ALG.   So these aren't mutually exclusive. Instead, what the manual seems to indicate is that if you want to do a traditional analogue subtractive synth, then you'd rather not use a Keymap, which makes sense since analogue subtractive synths don't use them at all.   You can  still use a Keymap's sample Envelope if it is set to Natural, even if the Sample itself isn't sounding via the Layer, say, if you have simply a 4-block AA DSP SAW. That SAW block effectively cuts off any of the Sample signal. However, as the AMPENV mode is set to Natural, it is the factory AMPENV for that multi-Sampled Keymap that is applied to the Layer.   The Natural envelopes have more details than can be produced with a User AMPENV.   The thing that happens with setting the Keymap to Silence is that it sets each key's amplitude to the same maximum amplitude. Maybe that's what you need in a certain program, but sometimes, if you are doing an emulative program, you could be better off actually referencing the emulation's Keymaps Sample although the latter isn't heard, with the corresponding Natural Envelope, or of course, you could just go into User Mode and make your own envelope.   Hope this helps.
    • Sweetwater might accept to deliver to Canada, but you will be charged transport accordingly and as anything going USA to Canada your item will go through customs and it is always possible to end up with extra fees - sometimes very expensive. I personally had a very bad experience about 10 years ago and promised myself to never import again from the USA unless the seller confirms on paper he pays for all possible customs and duties extra fees.   Buying Kurzweil products in Canada has always been complicated. In the 1990s a few stores in the province kept a couple of them, but if you wanted something they didn't have you had to order sight unseen and wait months to get your purchase. That is how I bought my MIDIboard, K1200 and finally, around 2000, a PC2X. I hated the Fatar action on the PC2X from day one and swore to never buy a keyboard sight unseen ever again.
    • How is the Canadian Distribution looking in 2024?   What's the alternative if there's still no distribution? Sweetwater? Thomann?
  • Come join MPN’s Clubs!

• Blog Entries