Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Keyboard Corner

Synths, pianos, software, analog, digital, modeling, virtual instruments, programming tips - this is the place on the web for discussions, debates, opinions and assistance...and the occasional sports thread.

11594965545_282c74d7ea_o.jpg.e3b7814ba5300332fb257afa0b249ec5.jpg   

Subforums

1. Repairs and Mods

Repairs, modifications, tips, tricks and other suggestions for ailing keyboards and synthesizers.

66,783 topics in this forum

• 3 replies
    • 53.3k views
    • 0 replies
    • 37.2k views
    • 11 replies
    • 6 replies
  1. My Ventilator just died!

• 12 replies
    • 57 replies
    • 1.6k views
    • 11 replies
  2. Bose L1 Model 2 vs Compact

• 7 replies
    • 14 replies
    • 23 replies
    • 95 replies
    • 2k views
    • 25 replies
  3. What causes this?

• 22 replies
  4. Lead sheets, where?

• 27 replies
    • 138 replies
    • 3.6k views
    • 47 replies
    • 15 replies
    • 22 replies
    • 12 replies
    • 24 replies
  5. This one seems legit

• 16 replies
    • 5 replies
    • 3.9k replies
    • 10.3m views
    • 18 replies
  6. broken zx-a1

• 3 replies
    • 193 replies
    • 8.2k views
  7. Νord 5d bass or Mainstage?

• 8 replies
  8. Electro 5D Grand Piano

• 14 replies
    • 19 replies
    • 66 replies
    • 1.7k views
  9. Half-Damper pedal

• 6 replies
    • 6 replies
  10. The Linux development

• 1 reply
  11. Yamaha P121

• 24 replies
    • 2.5k views
  12. Korg Forum???

• 27 replies
    • 887 replies
    • 76.7k views
    • 19 replies
    • 22 replies
    • 8 replies
  13. AKAI Stems out now

• 3 replies
  • Trending posts on MPN

• The concept of live vs. recorded has flipped 180 degrees over the past few decades. You used to hone your songs on the road, then go into the studio and try to capture the live performance magic. Now, you hone your songs in the studio, then go on the road and reproduce the studio experience. 
    • Agreed, I expect to play more intimate settings so your comments make sense. The more I think about it, the more I think it needs to be a real time production. The drums/ hex guitar duo I did with Brian from Public Enemy several years back was incredibly liberating because I didn't have to follow anything - no bass, no keyboards, no backing tracks. If I wanted the solo to go another eight measures or cut it out altogether, no problem. We could also do tempo variations based on how we felt at any given moment, not what was programmed into a backing track. We did play a festival gig with that approach and pulled it off because it sounded big.
    • Sounds like I'm doing similar to Eric.  I finally decided to push the NS3 forward a bit and use the of the features I haven't been...not doing that much with samples (other than the intro of Too Much Time on my hands) but I decided to start using an expression pedal to change various things and also a 2-button switch for either Song mode or program mode so I can be more hands-free.  Bought a small Hotone ampero switch for less than $20 and it works like an absolute champ.  I was looking at a much larger Boss pedal that needed a battery or power, this one is unpowered. Edit: and also doing more with the effects live.  Having tap tempo on a button is great, since we thankfully don't run to a click.  tap-tap-tap and my delay is now in time, and the wet/dry mix is right there too. I definitely see getting maxed out with the two panels.  For a song like the Cars' Drive, which we may add, I can't do all those layers.  Some of that we can shift to guitar, and I use an instrument from the piano engine for the high melody in the intro and bridge...sounds like a bell synth when added to the main pad(s) from the two synth engines   So yeah you have to get creative...but that's nothing new.  I remember programming 8 zones across my Motif and Virus to try to handle Relax and I still felt like I needed more (and what a nightmare to try to remember those splits...) Just happy as a clam and somewhat surprised at how good the synth in the Ns3 is, for more basic stuff I need at least.  Programmed a "Styx lead" for a couple of their tunes and it just rips!  (Tried that on the Modx, and "rips" would not have been my description....).    None of this to say I've lost interest in synths, whether they be ones I have or ones I'd like to have!   That rumored Arturia for example.  
    • The other thing the bender bar is supposed to do is add vibrato-when I push it forward.   Tips on how to configure this?  I see that the bender adds the vibrato with some organ sounds but doesn't with synth sounds.
    • I imagine you already ruled it out but are you sure it's not just the external power supply (or connection)?
  • In MPN’s GEARLAB

• My trusty Typhon can:   "Audio over USB -Typhon gets recognised as Audio/USB device. This feature enables Typhon to act as an audio input and be recorded from a computer directly without the use of a sound card. This feature got implemented to support the previous described feature so as the user doesn’t have to connect the physical audio out to his sound card, and so on create a ground loop, which cause a constant buzzing at Typhon’s audio."   https://www.dreadbox-fx.com/typhon/  
    • Ipad, yes, but from my experience with the Modx that is due to being able to set the Modx as the audio interface in the audio app(s) I used.  In other words, unlike sending analog audio to a mixer or speaker where the sending unit doesn't care or know what is connected, I had to set the Modx as the destination or it wouldn't have sent anything. I'm not sure if a synth that can send audio over usb would be able to do so with another keyboard, unless it had a way to do the same...never thought about it though (which synths can send audio over usb?)  
  • Come join MPN’s Clubs!

• Blog Entries