Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Keyboard Corner

Synths, pianos, software, analog, digital, modeling, virtual instruments, programming tips - this is the place on the web for discussions, debates, opinions and assistance...and the occasional sports thread.

11594965545_282c74d7ea_o.jpg.e3b7814ba5300332fb257afa0b249ec5.jpg   

Subforums

1. Repairs and Mods

Repairs, modifications, tips, tricks and other suggestions for ailing keyboards and synthesizers.

66,869 topics in this forum

• 3 replies
    • 53.4k views
    • 0 replies
    • 37.3k views
    • 157 replies
    • 7.3k views
    • 12 replies
    • 22 replies
    • 6 replies
    • 35 replies
    • 1.6k views
    • 1 reply
    • 38 replies
  1. Hammond M-Solo 1 2 3 4 5

• 126 replies
    • 9.6k views
    • 21 replies
  2. Hammond Tease XK-4 1 2 3 4 7

• 207 replies
    • 18.2k views
    • 72 replies
    • 4.4k views
  3. Gear Wish List

• 20 replies
    • 99 replies
    • 2.9k views
    • 0 replies
    • 26 replies
    • 11 replies
    • 13 replies
    • 8 replies
    • 12 replies
    • 1.7k views
  4. Yamaha Triple Pedals

• 12 replies
    • 4 replies
  5. i-VI

• 27 replies
    • 5 replies
    • 30 replies
    • 890 replies
    • 265.9k views
    • 57 replies
    • 2k views
    • 33 replies
    • 24 replies
  6. Nicky Hopkins Documentary

• 13 replies
  7. Quick Roland question.

• 13 replies
    • 39 replies
  8. Jessica Williams

• 2 replies
  9. Peter Baartmans RIP

• 4 replies
    • 2.9k replies
    • 1.2m views
    • 4 replies
    • 93 replies
    • 3.1k views
    • 2.7k replies
    • 2.7m views
    • 6 replies
  • Trending posts on MPN

• B3 and piano being the ultimate but of the 'keyboard' variety it's probably the EPS 16+ I'll remember the most.  Sooo many years and so much music and sound on it.  There was blood in that turnip.  A sampler. SMDH. Still have it.
    • On latency: The choice of devices does influence the overall latency. Some combinations are better than others. A CME device to another CME device has 3-5 ms latency. Very good. These stats are a few years old and I hope I remember them correctly, but I think are still valid: Any device connection to an iPhone or iPad has 14ms latency, based on the service interval provided by iOS. Any device connection to a Mac has 11.5ms latency, based on the service interval provided by MacOS.    
    • In looking again, I see I didn't actually buy the Ivory Mobile Grand... I tried the demo, and chose not to buy it.   Meanwhile, I've now tried the OASYS piano, liked it, decided to buy it... but although the sale was supposed to run through the 15th, it said it was going to charge me $29.99, even though it's still the 15th. Since I don't actually have an immediate need (it's questionable how much I "need" it at all), I decided to pass. As my mom use to tell my sister, "there will always be another sale."
    • I thought this was a resurrected thread…   Depends on the one I’m currently playing and having fun with.    Anyway, when I just wanna blow off some steam and rip some gnarly bass and searing leads…Subsequent 37 is my first reach.   Tied for second place are MiniFreak and HydraSynth Explorer. They both have so many different types of synthesis. Love to get drones, arps, or sequences going with those and get the Moog to really sing on top of ‘em. Better than therapy.   When I need to try out some new iOS app or sound libraries, Numa Compact 2X is a dern good controller. It’s a decent board to practice for gigs on too.   Speaking of gigs: VR-09 is my main board. I’m currently doing organ for a local blues band and having the time of my life. MODX7 supports the gigs with better piano’s and hornz.    If I have the house to myself, and a little of that rare stuff called free time, sometimes I like to get out the melodica and work on my breath technique. An empty house is mandatory for this instrument, though…😝  
    • Not always, and it never hurts to inquire/check it out.  I posted elsewhere about someone giving away a beautiful, pristine condition Yamaha C7, which i passed on (no room for it), but it later ended up in a club I play at.  I have a beautiful Baldwin M grand that i got the same way.   
  • In MPN’s GEARLAB

• In V.A.S.T., be it the original V.A.S.T. or the newer vaster V.A.S.T. with Cascade and Dynamic, there are several ways you can use internal DSP sources with Samples:   1. Samples only 2. Internal DSP Oscillators only without any Sample 3. Samples mixed with internal DSP Oscillators   In the new V.A.S.T., you can certainly use a multi-sampled Keymap, alongside an internal anti-aliased DSP Osc, e.g. a 2-block SINE+ for a single Layer, or even an aliased one like the old SAW+.   For larger AA DSP Oscs, e.g. the 4-block SAW, you'd need to use Cascade Mode, a passthrough signal and a Mixer ALG.   So these aren't mutually exclusive. Instead, what the manual seems to indicate is that if you want to do a traditional analogue subtractive synth, then you'd rather not use a Keymap, which makes sense since analogue subtractive synths don't use them at all.   You can  still use a Keymap's sample Envelope if it is set to Natural, even if the Sample itself isn't sounding via the Layer, say, if you have simply a 4-block AA DSP SAW. That SAW block effectively cuts off any of the Sample signal. However, as the AMPENV mode is set to Natural, it is the factory AMPENV for that multi-Sampled Keymap that is applied to the Layer.   The Natural envelopes have more details than can be produced with a User AMPENV.   The thing that happens with setting the Keymap to Silence is that it sets each key's amplitude to the same maximum amplitude. Maybe that's what you need in a certain program, but sometimes, if you are doing an emulative program, you could be better off actually referencing the emulation's Keymaps Sample although the latter isn't heard, with the corresponding Natural Envelope, or of course, you could just go into User Mode and make your own envelope.   Hope this helps.
    • Sweetwater might accept to deliver to Canada, but you will be charged transport accordingly and as anything going USA to Canada your item will go through customs and it is always possible to end up with extra fees - sometimes very expensive. I personally had a very bad experience about 10 years ago and promised myself to never import again from the USA unless the seller confirms on paper he pays for all possible customs and duties extra fees.   Buying Kurzweil products in Canada has always been complicated. In the 1990s a few stores in the province kept a couple of them, but if you wanted something they didn't have you had to order sight unseen and wait months to get your purchase. That is how I bought my MIDIboard, K1200 and finally, around 2000, a PC2X. I hated the Fatar action on the PC2X from day one and swore to never buy a keyboard sight unseen ever again.
    • How is the Canadian Distribution looking in 2024?   What's the alternative if there's still no distribution? Sweetwater? Thomann?
  • Come join MPN’s Clubs!

• Blog Entries