Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Keyboard Corner

Synths, pianos, software, analog, digital, modeling, virtual instruments, programming tips - this is the place on the web for discussions, debates, opinions and assistance...and the occasional sports thread.

11594965545_282c74d7ea_o.jpg.e3b7814ba5300332fb257afa0b249ec5.jpg   

Subforums

1. Repairs and Mods

Repairs, modifications, tips, tricks and other suggestions for ailing keyboards and synthesizers.

66,882 topics in this forum

• 3 replies
    • 53.4k views
    • 0 replies
    • 37.3k views
    • 47 replies
    • 3 replies
  1. Primrose Hill

• 2 replies
  2. Hiromi Tiny Desk Concert

• 18 replies
    • 1.1k views
    • 2.7k replies
    • 2.7m views
    • 33 replies
    • 32 replies
    • 20 replies
    • 39 replies
  3. Gear Wish List 1 2

• 35 replies
    • 55 replies
    • 2k views
    • 7 replies
    • 34 replies
    • 2.9k replies
    • 1.2m views
    • 67 replies
    • 1.3k views
    • 20 replies
    • 173 replies
    • 8.1k views
    • 11 replies
    • 12 replies
    • 45 replies
    • 1.3k views
  4. Shoutout for Kris Pooley

• 2 replies
    • 3 replies
    • 14 replies
    • 34 replies
  5. i-VI

• 28 replies
    • 21 replies
  6. neo vent 2 remote control

• 4 replies
    • 58 replies
    • 2.1k views
    • 104 replies
    • 3.3k views
    • 10 replies
  7. Ren - Mackay

• 0 replies
    • 2 replies
    • 9 replies
  8. Hammond M-Solo 1 2 3 4 5

• 134 replies
    • 10.1k views
    • 41 replies
    • 8 replies
    • 36 replies
    • 0 replies
  • Trending posts on MPN

• Some background: due to my work, I am about 8 hours a day on my electronics lab at home, were I have setup a monitor in the middle of the workbench, recessed so I can place the item I am working on in front of it (the bench is 1.2m depth). This lets me see the technical documents (schematic, PCB component locations, data sheets...) on it. But once the problem has been located, while I do the mechanical work, I can watch (well, sometimes mostly listen) any interesting YT video.   During last years I have watched some thousands of mainly music related videos that way. So, for me, a good ad blocker is a must. The problem you describe at the beginning of the videos happened for some time, but lately (perhaps a year or so) is gone. At least with Firefox plus uBlock Origin (uBO)   There was some fighting between ad blockers (uBO was very active on this) and YT during several months, as YT detected them and advised you could lost access to their videos, slowed loading and such. But the blockers modified almost instantly the code to prevent detection. After some months, YT has recently stopped doing that. Let's see what is next!
    • Musicians assume that other people hear and understand what the musicians hear. They don't. I've had many conversations over many years with many people. Some people don't hear music at all. They just don't hear it. I mean it's just random sounds to them. Some people have no concept of how music is played, how it is made, what it even is. They don't perceive the structure, the beat, a melody. So it's not surprising that some people don't even understand the concept of something being out of tune. They may feel that something's wrong or that something sounds bad, they may make a face, but they don't know why they don't like the sound. Hearing something being in tune or out of tune is learned. And, as Rick Beato has apparently learned, even some trained musicians can't hear when something is out of tune.   One of my favorite stories is about a hairdresser friend who went to live music venues because that's where her friends went and that was her social life. She said she didn't like live music. She didn't understand it. To her it looked like the musicians weren't doing anything. She didn't see the point. In talking with her, it became evident that she had no concept of what music was, how it was made, what was involved in playing an instrument. It was just sounds to her and she didn't see what the deal was about live music. To her, it was the same thing as recorded music. It was just sounds.  
    • A few years ago I bought a Gibson Melody Maker on craigslist for $400. It needed new frets, it had a gold plexiglass pick guard and truss rod cover that were 1//8" thick and had 90 degree edges. There were three DiMarzio Strat pickups and a 5 way switch that went all the way through the body (another gold plexiglass non-tapered blob thingie was screwed into the backside to cover the hole. It was probably a 1961, the last year for the original single cutaway Melody Maker body, the 1962 models were double cutaway.  I'm guessing 1961 because it was originally a double pickup model. The Gibson on the headstock is not original, it's some sort of gold foil tape cut to shape. It looks pretty decent so I left it.    The guitar was refinished in a clear lacquer, a good job overall and it brought out the wood, single pieces of mahogany for the body and the neck and a single piece of quality rosewood for the fretboard, total of 3 pieces of wood.    I refretted it with super jumbo Dunlop fretwork and made a new bone nut to adjust for the height of the frets. I replaced the tailpiece-bridge with one that has intonation cast in for a string set with an unwound G string. I made a black/white/black truss rod cover and replaced the tuners with Sperzel locking tuners. I cut a new "Mother of Pearloid" black white black pick guard and back plate. I used a vintage hi-fi knob for the single volume control and a Switchcraft stereo jack (firm connection) and cut a hole for a vintage Gretsch Supertron pickup with solid bars instead of pole pieces.    This was one of those "little by little" projects and I recently got it all together and started playing it. I had to file two rounded notches in the new tailpiece to get the strings over the neck, the sixth string was right on the edge on first assembly. I had it up and running so I used washers and screws and permanently attached a strap.    The neck is wide and fat, I love playing this guitar. It sounds great, looks cool and unique and it's very light but by cutting and sizing tubing under the bridge, it is fastened tightly to the body and the sustain is amazing. A new current favorite!  
    • I'd agree this is not one of his best - cannot believe he's surprised that musicians pick up tuning better than non-musicians....
    • Sounds good as long as Yoko doesn't decide to step in and take the mic...
  • In MPN’s GEARLAB

• I just bought one used two days ago.   I had in the past (a very past) the original ARP Odissey and an Avatar (the guitar version of the Odissey). They sounded quite differenti, and now I understand why: two different version of the filter. A friend of mine still have the all black one with coloured sliders, which Is again different, maybe two poles filter?   Anyway the Behringer sounds good but a bit differenti too.   My ARP had a ring modulator I used to build fabolous bell like sounds: metallic, full of harmonics.    The kind of sound you can hear on Japan Tin Drum or Oil on Canvas albums.   Until now I couldn't recreate this sound.    Neither the Avatar did. Just my ARP Odissey I sold for little Money :(
    • In V.A.S.T., be it the original V.A.S.T. or the newer vaster V.A.S.T. with Cascade and Dynamic, there are several ways you can use internal DSP sources with Samples:   1. Samples only 2. Internal DSP Oscillators only without any Sample 3. Samples mixed with internal DSP Oscillators   In the new V.A.S.T., you can certainly use a multi-sampled Keymap, alongside an internal anti-aliased DSP Osc, e.g. a 2-block SINE+ for a single Layer, or even an aliased one like the old SAW+.   For larger AA DSP Oscs, e.g. the 4-block SAW, you'd need to use Cascade Mode, a passthrough signal and a Mixer ALG.   So these aren't mutually exclusive. Instead, what the manual seems to indicate is that if you want to do a traditional analogue subtractive synth, then you'd rather not use a Keymap, which makes sense since analogue subtractive synths don't use them at all.   You can  still use a Keymap's sample Envelope if it is set to Natural, even if the Sample itself isn't sounding via the Layer, say, if you have simply a 4-block AA DSP SAW. That SAW block effectively cuts off any of the Sample signal. However, as the AMPENV mode is set to Natural, it is the factory AMPENV for that multi-Sampled Keymap that is applied to the Layer.   The Natural envelopes have more details than can be produced with a User AMPENV.   The thing that happens with setting the Keymap to Silence is that it sets each key's amplitude to the same maximum amplitude. Maybe that's what you need in a certain program, but sometimes, if you are doing an emulative program, you could be better off actually referencing the emulation's Keymaps Sample although the latter isn't heard, with the corresponding Natural Envelope, or of course, you could just go into User Mode and make your own envelope.   Hope this helps.
    • Sweetwater might accept to deliver to Canada, but you will be charged transport accordingly and as anything going USA to Canada your item will go through customs and it is always possible to end up with extra fees - sometimes very expensive. I personally had a very bad experience about 10 years ago and promised myself to never import again from the USA unless the seller confirms on paper he pays for all possible customs and duties extra fees.   Buying Kurzweil products in Canada has always been complicated. In the 1990s a few stores in the province kept a couple of them, but if you wanted something they didn't have you had to order sight unseen and wait months to get your purchase. That is how I bought my MIDIboard, K1200 and finally, around 2000, a PC2X. I hated the Fatar action on the PC2X from day one and swore to never buy a keyboard sight unseen ever again.
  • Come join MPN’s Clubs!

• Blog Entries