Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Keyboard Corner

Synths, pianos, software, analog, digital, modeling, virtual instruments, programming tips - this is the place on the web for discussions, debates, opinions and assistance...and the occasional sports thread.

11594965545_282c74d7ea_o.jpg.e3b7814ba5300332fb257afa0b249ec5.jpg   

Subforums

1. Repairs and Mods

Repairs, modifications, tips, tricks and other suggestions for ailing keyboards and synthesizers.

66,783 topics in this forum

• 3 replies
    • 53.3k views
    • 0 replies
    • 37.2k views
    • 14 replies
  1. Bose L1 Model 2 vs Compact

• 9 replies
    • 9 replies
    • 139 replies
    • 3.6k views
  2. Lead sheets, where?

• 28 replies
    • 12 replies
    • 6 replies
  3. My Ventilator just died!

• 12 replies
    • 57 replies
    • 1.6k views
    • 14 replies
    • 23 replies
    • 95 replies
    • 2k views
    • 25 replies
  4. What causes this?

• 22 replies
    • 47 replies
    • 15 replies
    • 22 replies
    • 12 replies
    • 24 replies
  5. This one seems legit

• 16 replies
    • 5 replies
    • 3.9k replies
    • 10.3m views
    • 18 replies
  6. broken zx-a1

• 3 replies
    • 193 replies
    • 8.2k views
  7. Νord 5d bass or Mainstage?

• 8 replies
  8. Electro 5D Grand Piano

• 14 replies
    • 19 replies
    • 66 replies
    • 1.7k views
  9. Half-Damper pedal

• 6 replies
    • 6 replies
  10. The Linux development

• 1 reply
  11. Yamaha P121

• 24 replies
    • 2.5k views
  12. Korg Forum???

• 27 replies
    • 887 replies
    • 76.7k views
    • 19 replies
    • 22 replies
  13. AKAI Stems out now

• 3 replies
  • Trending posts on MPN

• My webpage has the details, it will be updated as my stage system is currently going through a change.  The diagram below shows the new system.   My Andromeda is starting to show its age by crashing in the middle of a song so I am replacing it.  Anyone who knows the Andromeda knows this is a tall order, and I refuse to use a laptop or mobile on stage.  That's the change I am going through now.   I played a lot of genres over the years so I decided to divide strategic components into separate racks: Base analog rack Kurzweil rack Minimoog rack Polysynth rack Polysynth Effects rack This creates a modular system such that I only carry the components I need for the genre.  IE if I'm playing blues or R&B, I don't need the synth racks.  It also keeps the weight of the racks reasonable.  This also minimizes the keyboards I use onstage (I'm down to two keyboards and a set of bass pedals).  Another goal was to minimize cabling so with the exception of the Hammond all cabling between keyboards and racks is MIDI.  The cabling is 25ft so I can set the racks offstage (I do not need to access the racks while playing).  I built this in 2016, it has worked so well that I wish I had built it a long time ago. A convention is my stage system is my Universal Effects System Anyway, the synths: Moog Voyager RME.  Used for classic rock or prog synth solos.  Minimoog is hard to beat for solos.  This is the closest thing in a Minimoog with MIDI in a rack format.  I also use it for sound FX.  The RME has its own Universal Effects system. Moog Minitaur.  I've used Moog Taurus bass pedals with some bands.  Until the Minitaur, I had never been able to get the Taurus growl and solid low end out of any other synth.  I worked with a sound guy who loved to pump the Minitaur through his sub woofers to shake the room.  I retrofitted a set of Taurus II controller bass pedals (no synth engine, controller only) with MIDI so I can play the Minitaur (or other MIDI gear) with my feet.  No effects needed, the Minitaur sounds so huge. Many of the Andromeda patches I used onstage were 70s/80s analog and bread-n-butter sounds.  I noticed that the typical layer/split I used on the Andromeda consisted of 2 or 3 Oberheim based patches and 1 Moog based patch. So to replace the Andromeda, I selected two Oberheim OB-X8 and one Sequential Trigon-6 all in desktop module formats.  The desktop modules are too wide for standard 19" rack mounting so I am ordering a rack case to accommodate the modules which will be mounted on drawers. The Andromeda only has a single digital effect, other patches often needed other effects.  I used to route separate splits to the AUX outputs of the Andromeda then to two sets of my Universal Effects System - that was a powerful and flexible polysynth.  To duplicate this convention, I configured one OB-X8 as stereo eight voice, the other is configured as split with each split routed to separate L/R outputs then to the dual Universal Effects System.  The Trigon-6 does the Moog polyphonic patches and already has internal digital effects.  While the OB-X8 in eight voice mode doesn't use any effects, the random stereo panning creates a nice stereo effect. That's how I replaced my Andromeda.  The solution isn't smaller but a modern hardware clone of the Andromeda is not likely today.  The solution doesn't have the deep feature set of the Andromeda for patches, but I covered 90% of what I used on stage. Other non-synth sound modules: Kurzweil 1000PX and 1000AX ROMplers.  Great samples of bread-n-butter sounds that aren't possible on the polysynths.  Each ROMpler has their own digital reverb. Alesis DMPro drum ROMpler.  Besides the excellent drum library, it includes a very good effects system and has four AUX outputs.  If I need to, I can configure six separate outputs for kick, snare, cymbals, percussion, then stereo pair for effects and everything else. All this is controlled from my master MIDI controller.  For every song, my Kurzweil MIDIBoard has MIDI configurations for patch, volume, etc of each MIDI device and split/layer of its keyboard.  I have yet to find a MIDI controller with the features of the MIDIBoard.  The Hammond has a dual role, I can use it to play organ (also configured via the MIDIBoard), or with CANCEL preset selected the Hammond becomes a MIDI controller for the polysynths. I used to play in an 80s top40 band (Madonna, Cyndi Lauper, etc) using a drum machine and I played bass synth with my left hand.  I wanted to plan for that genre so I included an Alesis Datadisk to play back MIDI drum/bass sequences to the drum module and Minitaur.  I may be exploiting that in the near future.    
    • Do you mean Rhodes/Wurli etc or acoustic piano sound? Because that's a huge difference.
    • Technically, if Yamaha wants to make sure the software ("uncracked") will only be used by one person, probably the expensive and hard to transport synthesizer can be used as part of the key encryption principles.   T
    • Ray Kurzweil predicts humans can transform into an eagle by 2045… with a hard-drive strapped to their underside.     PEACE _ _ _
    • As you would expect, one can see it completely different. I use my L1 compact a lot for keyboard work. Sometimes as my single amp / speaker, or as a PA for a little quartet. I use the EQ on my board, and your CP4 should have a master eq as well. But I can't compare to the bigger model you mentioned.
  • In MPN’s GEARLAB

• My trusty Typhon can:   "Audio over USB -Typhon gets recognised as Audio/USB device. This feature enables Typhon to act as an audio input and be recorded from a computer directly without the use of a sound card. This feature got implemented to support the previous described feature so as the user doesn’t have to connect the physical audio out to his sound card, and so on create a ground loop, which cause a constant buzzing at Typhon’s audio."   https://www.dreadbox-fx.com/typhon/  
    • Ipad, yes, but from my experience with the Modx that is due to being able to set the Modx as the audio interface in the audio app(s) I used.  In other words, unlike sending analog audio to a mixer or speaker where the sending unit doesn't care or know what is connected, I had to set the Modx as the destination or it wouldn't have sent anything. I'm not sure if a synth that can send audio over usb would be able to do so with another keyboard, unless it had a way to do the same...never thought about it though (which synths can send audio over usb?)  
  • Come join MPN’s Clubs!

• Blog Entries