Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Craig Anderton's Sound, Studio, and Stage

Trends, tips, technology, tricks, talk, tales - it's your Open Mic. We're listening!

389374924_SSSBanner.png.7e571d00c20db24456e4aa667f41fd92.png    

Subforums

1. Sweetwater Publishing Official Support Forum

The official forum for feedback, Q&A, support, discussions, suggestions for future updates, and questions on topics covered in the books. 

26,743 topics in this forum

• 12 replies
    • 25 replies
    • 3.2k views
    • 22 replies
    • 6 replies
    • 80 replies
    • 1.8k views
    • 26 replies
    • 1 reply
    • 7 replies
    • 29 replies
    • 1.4k views
    • 7 replies
    • 32 replies
    • 2 replies
    • 21 replies
    • 10 replies
    • 22 replies
    • 3 replies
    • 15 replies
    • 3 replies
    • 4 replies
    • 2 replies
    • 13 replies
    • 67 replies
    • 1.1k views
    • 51 replies
    • 1.1k views
    • 1 reply
    • 115 replies
    • 14.8k views
    • 4 replies
    • 6 replies
    • 49 replies
    • 1.3k views
    • 185 replies
    • 6.4k views
    • 23 replies
    • 35 replies
    • 13 replies
    • 22 replies
    • 2 replies
    • 7 replies
    • 1.2k views
    • 13 replies
    • 17 replies
    • 17 replies
    • 1.2k views
    • 10 replies
    • 18 replies
  • Trending posts on MPN

• The lightest, but still playable piano action I've found is on my Casio PX-160. It's not made anymore, and it's bare-bones to be sure, but the action is sublime, IMHO. If all you need is acoustic piano and EP, it'll get the job done, sound better than it has a right to, and is really easy on the wallet. Not to mention that it weighs 25lbs.
    • For a one-off, I only need to get over the logistical hurdles once. At the moment, anything else seems like it's not worth the effort. OTOH, if the act goes over really well, tweaking my goals may be in order...
    • I love synths, always have. Two problems--my band doesn't play enough synth tunes live...creeping more into the 80s but it's still not a synth-heavy setlist to say the least. Secondly, at home I love working "in the box" with no cabling or patch changes to worry about...but it makes it much harder to justify purchases of hardware when I'm only going to use it live!   I have zero desire to take "the box" out live either. I set the Summit up and am going through the patches and trying to think how I can use it more.  Damn it does sound good!   Ultimately something like a Fantom makes more sense as it has a vocoder and can completely do the show if the Nord goes down.   Would the Nord ever "go down"?  Likely not, but weirder things have happened.  The Jupiter X definitely has some appeal but the Fantom has just about the same synth capabilities and of course a lot more....but as the talking heads say, stop making sense!  (I do have the Modx that can do a show with an ipad's help for organ, but am probably going to sell it, I just don't enjoy playing it that much.)
    • The 45 RPM vinyl Aja is getting great reviews.  I'd love to hear it somewhere.    I'm not going to purchase it at $150.   https://store.acousticsounds.com/d/171049/Steely_Dan-Aja-UHQR_Vinyl_Record
  • In MPN’s GEARLAB

• I just bought one used two days ago.   I had in the past (a very past) the original ARP Odissey and an Avatar (the guitar version of the Odissey). They sounded quite differenti, and now I understand why: two different version of the filter. A friend of mine still have the all black one with coloured sliders, which Is again different, maybe two poles filter?   Anyway the Behringer sounds good but a bit differenti too.   My ARP had a ring modulator I used to build fabolous bell like sounds: metallic, full of harmonics.    The kind of sound you can hear on Japan Tin Drum or Oil on Canvas albums.   Until now I couldn't recreate this sound.    Neither the Avatar did. Just my ARP Odissey I sold for little Money :(
    • In V.A.S.T., be it the original V.A.S.T. or the newer vaster V.A.S.T. with Cascade and Dynamic, there are several ways you can use internal DSP sources with Samples:   1. Samples only 2. Internal DSP Oscillators only without any Sample 3. Samples mixed with internal DSP Oscillators   In the new V.A.S.T., you can certainly use a multi-sampled Keymap, alongside an internal anti-aliased DSP Osc, e.g. a 2-block SINE+ for a single Layer, or even an aliased one like the old SAW+.   For larger AA DSP Oscs, e.g. the 4-block SAW, you'd need to use Cascade Mode, a passthrough signal and a Mixer ALG.   So these aren't mutually exclusive. Instead, what the manual seems to indicate is that if you want to do a traditional analogue subtractive synth, then you'd rather not use a Keymap, which makes sense since analogue subtractive synths don't use them at all.   You can  still use a Keymap's sample Envelope if it is set to Natural, even if the Sample itself isn't sounding via the Layer, say, if you have simply a 4-block AA DSP SAW. That SAW block effectively cuts off any of the Sample signal. However, as the AMPENV mode is set to Natural, it is the factory AMPENV for that multi-Sampled Keymap that is applied to the Layer.   The Natural envelopes have more details than can be produced with a User AMPENV.   The thing that happens with setting the Keymap to Silence is that it sets each key's amplitude to the same maximum amplitude. Maybe that's what you need in a certain program, but sometimes, if you are doing an emulative program, you could be better off actually referencing the emulation's Keymaps Sample although the latter isn't heard, with the corresponding Natural Envelope, or of course, you could just go into User Mode and make your own envelope.   Hope this helps.
    • Sweetwater might accept to deliver to Canada, but you will be charged transport accordingly and as anything going USA to Canada your item will go through customs and it is always possible to end up with extra fees - sometimes very expensive. I personally had a very bad experience about 10 years ago and promised myself to never import again from the USA unless the seller confirms on paper he pays for all possible customs and duties extra fees.   Buying Kurzweil products in Canada has always been complicated. In the 1990s a few stores in the province kept a couple of them, but if you wanted something they didn't have you had to order sight unseen and wait months to get your purchase. That is how I bought my MIDIboard, K1200 and finally, around 2000, a PC2X. I hated the Fatar action on the PC2X from day one and swore to never buy a keyboard sight unseen ever again.
  • Come join MPN’s Clubs!

• Blog Entries