Music Player Network
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Dr. Mike's Studio Workshop Jump to new posts
Re: Mics you / I own, what's good? KuruPrionz 02/18/20 06:15 AM
Originally Posted by Dave Bryce
Careful, brother Kuru - next thing you know, you’ll be looking into expensive power cables. shudder duck hugegrin

dB

First I want to line all the walls with lead. :- D

I think I'm good for power now. The Furman is rated for 20 amps. That is absurdly more than I should need. The cord on that is stupid thick.
I shouldn't need to get another one, ever. It looks very solid.

Dressing the cables is more than enough for now. I can keep using the gear if I just do a couple at a time.
There's not a single cord that isn't too long, some of them are WAY too long. Not that many of them, I want to stay simple.
Photos are pre-hookup. Just image a mess of long cables hanging out all over cuz that's what it is right now.
23 336 Read More
The Keyboard Corner Jump to new posts
Re: What standard tune is this? Docbop 02/18/20 05:58 AM
Originally Posted by Dave Ferris
Yes I get it. D is a beautiful acoustic guitar key for Brazilian/ Bossa type interpretations of Standards and such.

There's a reason so Many of Jobim's tunes were written in D, A and G. The Jazz people just put them in their friendly keys- Bb, Eb and F.

Those Guitar keys are so they can use open strings which can add nice sound and some case play more piano like voicings. Jazz guitarist like Jim Hall used to play a lot in "Jazz" flat keys because he could use the open strings to add altered tensions to chords.
17 526 Read More
NEW! MPN GearLab Jump to new posts
Re: MPN TEAM TEST: Arturia Pigments 2 davedoerfler 02/18/20 05:57 AM
Excellent post Eric. I just spent 2 hours blowing through the presets. I had gotten away from VST's recently, so I am very happy to be turned on to this one. I own everything from G Force Software and also own Native Instruments Komplete 12 so I am not new to software sounds, I am extremely impressed with what I heard and how little CPU power is needed. Definately holds it's own against NI Massive. Great to have so many choices. cool
10 220 Read More
Re: Karn Evil 9 - the movie S_Gould 02/18/20 05:51 AM
Keep it cool; keep it cool
17 617 Read More
Too excited J. Dead 02/18/20 05:33 AM
I love the stuff we're doing for our next CD and am so proud of my solos. I want to just share my solos in here, if nothing else, but I'm not the songwriter and probably shouldn't share stuff without approval. So I guess I'll sit on it for now...but I am SO excited. LOVING what we are doing..
0 26 Read More
Craig Anderton's Sound, Studio, and Stage Jump to new posts
Musical genre and classification J. Dead 02/18/20 05:31 AM
I've generally been anti-classification and have posted many threads on the topic on the KC. But despite my history playing 80s tribute bands and classic rock, I now spend my time in an original progressive metal band. Metal has a myriad of sub genres. When I try to explain to people what I do, the sub genres are my only way to attempt to communicate to them what I do.

So at the end of the day, these classifications and sub genres are all we have to communicate what we feel.

How do you feel about genres, sub genres, classifications, etc?
0 6 Read More
Guitar Forum Jump to new posts
Re: Bad noise on tube amp KuruPrionz 02/18/20 05:26 AM
Could be as simple as corrosion. Jacks are notorious, check for scratchy pots and get some Caig De-Oxit if you don't have any and do all the tube sockets and tube pins.

Fender amps use the chassis as ground so check that ALL the jacks are tightend to clean metal on the chassis. Also check any ground connections from circuts to chassis for the same thing.

Little things but they mean a lot. If the amp has been sitting it is time for a bit of house-cleaning. Cheers, Kuru
4 39 Read More
Re: Best Clavinet from stage piano (CP88, GS, MP7SE, SV-2) bachsteady 02/18/20 05:23 AM
I actually thought the clav on the Crumar Mojo was surprisingly good.
8 401 Read More
Craig Anderton's Sound, Studio, and Stage Jump to new posts
Re: Will 8 track tapes become the next hipster thing ? KuruPrionz 02/18/20 05:20 AM
Originally Posted by David Emm
Originally Posted by KuruPrionz
Originally Posted by David Emm
If it does become the next hipster thing, the NEXT one will be picking up a stick and beating anyone who brags about it.

Full disclosure: I have 40-year-old cassettes whose fidelity remains all but unblemished. So, I'm an old fart, a living testimonial for the format and a cackling old collector who still listens to Charles Ives' "American Variations" for simple pleasure. Tip: Teens may be impressed by "Close To The Edge," but most run from Captain Beefheart.

Hahaha!!! I've a good friend from Holland who loves "symphonic rock". I introduced him to the Dregs, that went down pretty well. He had heard of Return To Forever and Weather Report but needed a reminder. Fine.

Captain Beefheart terrorized him!!! We used to listen to Trout Mask Replica when it came out because it would make my friend's parents leave the building. I have my Captain Beefheart moods to this day. I consider him to be one of the most under-rated and influential musicians in popular music.
Not on 8 track or cassette though, must listen to horrible sounding YouTube music!!!! :- D

I was fortunate to have been exposed to music across a wide range from an early age. I developed my prog favorites, but I also learned that the winning question wasn't "Why do you like that?", but "How did you first come to hear that?" Its led to the kinds of cross-connections we all love, like my discovery of Cannonball Adderly because his keyboard player, the great George Duke, was part of Zappa's band for a while. Its only sensible that you find your own personal partitions so you can make worthwhile music of your own, but its never a bad idea to be open to new influences.

Beefheart's angular "Tropical Hot Dog Night" slays me. I took an opportunity to play it for a group of rather straight-laced people and the reactions were amusingly mixed. Some puckered up, some laughed out loud in spots. Hm! Look Mom, its an audio Rorschach test.

I was also very lucky. Mom had diverse tastes in music, from Roger Miller to Brahms. When Carlos Montoya, Artur Rubenstein and Joan Baez came to town, we went to the concerts. We watched Ed Sullivan, Red Skelton, Smothers Brothers, Johnny Cash and Glen Campbell's TV shows, all kinds of popular music. My brother put a decent stereo system together with Garrard turntable, Fisher tube power amp and a pair of homemade 3 way speakers using Radio Shack drivers. It sounded better than everything else I'd listened to at that point but more importantly, he would go to Tower Records and buy stuff that was more or less off the beaten path for Fresno boys. So I listened to story-telling songs from Kenya, Turkish Village Music, Monk, Miles and Mingus, Sun Ra, Rahsaan Roland Kirk, Bach, Beethoven, Stravinsky, Blind Blake etc. I remember when he came home with a John Lee Hooker album and mom didn't like that one so he went back and got another one!!!!

Then my friends started buying anything by Zappa or connected thereto like Wild Man Fischer and Captain Beefheart.

And concerts - being inbetween LA and San Francisco meant we often got major acts coming through. I saw Yes and ELP twice, UK, Jethro Tull, The Dregs/Dixie Dregs, Herbie Hancock on the Headhunter tour, The Who on the Tommy tour and a huge list of other great stuff. Plus we found out you could go to the dress rehearsals for the Fresno Philharmonic for free so I hear Jean Pierre Rampal and other artists whose names I have forgotten. It was interesting when the conductor would stop a piece, discuss corrections and go through it again, that was an education you can't buy anywhere.

So I am very open-minded and curious to hear just about anything. But not on 8 track tape!!!!
42 500 Read More
Re: IK Multimedia UPDATE 021420 Jr. Deluxe 02/18/20 05:18 AM
I gotta say. I criticized the first release for buffer problems and a weak high end. After a short check on the new version it seems that b3x is now ready for prime time. I haven't fully tried everything but I tried the stuff that was weak last time like the wah. I set it on the hard rock preset and flipped on the wah and it wahhed without buffer glitching. The low end no longer ducks the highs. It sounds like a different organ app. Comp is an ipad mini 4 with the latest ios as of December. Its possible that maxing out the eq or other extreme fx settings will glitch. Maybe not. If all it does is what it does for me now it's good enough for 99bucks.

Edit. I wish they had put in a delay instead of 2 reverbs.
164 12,456 Read More
Re: Headphones you use? EricBarker 02/18/20 05:08 AM
My problem is that if I NEED headphones, it's because I need separation from the outside world, so Open Back are kind of out of the question, otherwise I'd just used NF speakers.
27 554 Read More
Kurzweil PC4 versus Roland RD2000 musomarc 02/18/20 05:07 AM
Hi all. I am contemplating buying a Kurzweil PC4.I currently own a Roland RD2000 which I love the ability of 8 zones, faders and being able to mix either eight internal or a combination internal and external sounds with either another synth or main stage.BUT as an older musician when gigging and lugging find it way too heavy to lift and transport.
Anyone gone down this path prior to getting a PC4? Is the PC4 with it’s sliders and multi setup able to do much the same thing, comparable sounds and a more lightweight and easier to transport gigging keyboard? How does action on PC4 compare to RD2000?
Any comments,advice and feedback would be most appreciated👍🏻🎹🎶
0 11 Read More
Low Down Lowdown Jump to new posts
Re: Horrible news wraub 02/18/20 05:05 AM
A skilled maker and player, and an important figure in the bass world.

RIP, indeed.
3 90 Read More
Low Down Lowdown Jump to new posts
Re: I'm playing drums now... wraub 02/18/20 05:03 AM
...a week or so later, and, I am definitely thinking like a drummer...scary stuff. grin I already have gear likes and dislikes...

Actually, I'm realizing how much like a drummer I have always thought as a bass player... all the years of feeling "the one" have definitely helped here. wink

Plus...it's really fun. I recommend that everybody have a drum set in their living room. ...it's not bad. smile
12 363 Read More
Re: Who's the bass player on this? Jonathan Hughes 02/18/20 04:34 AM
It's not Marc Johnson (he and Steve don't look remotely similar). It sure does look like Steve Rodby, and Steve Rodby toured with Monty Alexander.

"He toured with Monty Alexander and Michael Franks before replacing Mark Egan in Pat Metheny’s group in 1980" (from this site)

5 104 Read More
Re: My Guitar Player Actually Turned Down! Mr. Nightime 02/18/20 04:15 AM
My guy has this one setting on his Line 6 that has a really severe 60 cycle hum. I noticed that once he turned down, the hum was barely noticeable.

I commented to him that with the in ears, and the PA, all he really needed on stage was a Fender Deluxe. His comment was, "Then it will sound like a Fender Deluxe".

My reply, "And?"

I guess he really likes the tone of the Mesa

I just listened to a recording made during the second gig. Balance is close, but still not quite enough keys. The lead was where the rhythm should be. I'll get it right soon.

12 227 Read More
Re: Full Compass ordering experience? Noah B 02/18/20 04:09 AM
I had a good experience buying my KM 18880 stand with the 18881 stacker. They matched a much lower price I’d found elsewhere, and I got it shipped it in good time.
9 122 Read More
Re: A great story ! cphollis 02/18/20 03:53 AM
I went to school at UCSC, jeez what an intense musical beach town. I played my brain out at the time. One of the better acts that came through at the time were the Dixie Dregs. Yah, not jazz, but big fun!

I went to a bunch of great performances at the Kuumbwa, can't remember what the stage piano was at the time. Age is a factor for me. Anyway, a happy story!
1 52 Read More
Re: "Team Test"...or something like that... Dave Bryce 02/18/20 03:52 AM
Eric -

Great review! You should post that in the group review thread in the new GearLab forum.

dB
23 478 Read More
Re: Yamaha CP88 or Korg SV-2? cphollis 02/18/20 03:46 AM
The CP88 is pretty easy to figure out how it fits in -- this is Yamaha getting a bit aggressive vs. Nord Piano 4. $500 price retail spread, and reasonably close on feature and ergonomics. A smart move I think, as I'm always looking for cheaper, decent alternatives to the Nords I seem addicted to.

As it wasn't an upgrade to my NP4, not really interested at this time, thanks.

I played one briefly at a GC that thankfully had one. Classic Yamaha buttery action. Decent sounds, layers, etc. I wouldn't kick it out of bed for eating crackers.

The Korg SV series always appealed to me as a spanking EP board, not an AP board. That hot glowing tube sort of seduced me. And, damn, I could spank some smoking licks on it. But I'm not in the market for a dedicated EP board with a few other bells and whistles.

Korg could bring better game if they wanted to.
51 1,602 Read More
Re: OK :Pickers and grinners, need small amp for road trips desertbluesman 02/18/20 03:34 AM
Thanks bbqbob.
25 379 Read More
Re: Stage Pianos "disappear in the mix" (RD-2000) cphollis 02/18/20 03:28 AM
Of the three boards you list, I'd be happiest with the Yamaha CP88 thanks to its action and native sounds, not to mention reasonable weight.

That being said, Nord has come up with an interesting feature along these lines: a dedicated selector button with "low", "mid" and "high" EQ curves for acoustic pianos, which I have to say is nicely done. Originally, I'm like "what's that for?" but now I find I'm using it all the time.

Warm, soulful ballads get "low". Punchy rock comping gets "mid". And when it's time to be heard, the "high" EQ setting cuts through the clutter quite nicely. Can you hear me now?

One button press, all on the same patch, all without menu diving. If you're playing EPs, you also get the scoopy Dyno curves that were so popular in the 80s.

Classic use case for a song: mellow intro, then punchy rhythm for verses and then it's time for the sparkly bits on chorus or solo. Sweet.

I'm betting that before long you'll see this feature on other stage pianos, just because it's so darn useful in a live situation.
6 159 Read More
NEW! Ronan’s Recording Forum Jump to new posts
Re: Anyone else using PanEQ? Ronan C Murphy 02/18/20 03:22 AM
Yes, it lets you EQ frequencies in specific pan position. A great example would be if you had a drum overhead where the high hat was about half way between center and full left, you could tweak the EQ on the high hat with out changing the other parts of the drum set that much.
3 41 Read More
Re: Feel free to ask Myles BadLife 02/18/20 03:14 AM
I have a Fender Vibrolux Reverb from about 1970 or so. It had been unused for quite some time and I decided to fire it up today. It made a terrible noise for about ten minutes after I hit the standby switch. The power switch had been on for about 10 minutes before I hit the standby. After a while and several on off with the reverb and vibrato it cleared up. Any ideas ? Maybe a tube going out? One of the tubes is original as the new one from the last rebuild blew out. It is probably micro-phonic to some extent.

I don't really want to open it up without some idea of what to look for blush
5,605 18,194,135 Read More
Shameless Plugs Jump to new posts
Sneak peek of upcoming EP MathOfInsects 02/18/20 03:13 AM
I've been excited to share these tracks, and got the OK to quietly put one or two out there for discerning listeners in advance of the release. This is NOT my EP, but rather one by a singer I do a lot of playing for. I co-wrote one of the tracks and helped with most others, and of course was in the recording band.

Here's the part we all came away most stoked about. I know this narrative is tossed around a lot these days, but this was the for-real deal: these tracks were recorded in real time almost literally as you hear them. We played straight through, five of us in the same room, no iso, with a click only to get us into each song that had one. Two of them didn't have one at all.

We did five tracks in an afternoon, from noon to 5:00. Then the drummer did a percussion pass and went home, and the bass player put upright on the tracks that had it, since he did all the initial recording on electric so we wouldn't have to swap out set-ups. Basically, it was, pick a take, keep it, never look back. While everyone was still there, we did a couple of gang-vocals takes by just sitting where we already were and yelling over to the nearest mics. This song has one of those gang-vox parts.

By the time we went back to the Air BnB to eat dinner, honestly the tracks could have been released with the singer's basics vox. Obviously she would have seen it differently, but the point is, somehow they were songs already by then.

The next day, the guitarists put a couple of solos on top, I did some mellotron and other stuff on one song (not this one), and over'd some organ and/or keys on a couple of the tunes where I couldn't do both live. We all went home by early afternoon except the singer(s).

On the drive home, I got a text from one of the back-up singers--who also played guitar, including the epic solo on the attached song--that the singer was one-taking each song like a boss and they were winding down and looking to leave early. In my head I actually feared that it must mean things weren't going well, since who leaves early, but he meant it.

Just to let you know how quick things went, the "chatter" you hear at the beginning of this song was our dinner conversation from that night in the AirBnb. The singer recorded it on her iphone. By the time we showed up the next morning, it was already in the track.

The singer's name is Lauren Leigh Martin. I'm on keys and organ obviously. The EP comes out in May. Enjoy.

LAVENDER BLUES by Lauren Leigh Martin
0 6 Read More
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7