Music Player Network
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Guitar Forum Jump to new posts
Re: Who Else Plays Percussion/Drums? KuruPrionz 12/02/20 03:05 AM
Indeed, different! Nicely done Sir Winston.

I have many sides myself. Pretty and ugly need each other in my world. They feed off of each other's energy. Plinky pluck, BASH BASH BASH!!!!

Such fun!!!!
9 70 Read More
Craig Anderton's Sound, Studio, and Stage Jump to new posts
Re: Just...Play KuruPrionz 12/02/20 03:03 AM
I may know how an idea 'infected" me, causing me to write a song but I never know when that will happen or what the song will end up being. I was sitting with a friend at a bar and a lovely lady walked by. He looked at me and said "I wanna get some of hers on mine." Decades later, that is now a story song with a Bo Diddley beat. Who knew?

The cover of LIfe or Look with Dolly The Sheep on it - the first cloned mammal - led me to quickly write a song about a guy who clones himself in his workshop in the basement and trains his clone to take over his miserable life as a husband and a father so he can move to another country. At the time, it somehow turned into tribute song in the style of The Who. That was a long time ago.

When I started an all original band up here, we started playing it again after decades. When 2 members of that band were always traveling, I quit and the leader of the band I joined asked me to play that song even though we were primarily a cover band. He had a great harmony part for it already. One night we were a duo and a table of 7 friends were sitting in front. One of them wanted Pinhead Boy so we played it. I watched as 5 of the 7 were singing along, including an 80 year old friend of ours, she was drumming out a beat on the table as she mouthed the words.

Needless to say, I was gobsmacked. I'm working on that one, I probably just need to take our drummer out for dinner and get a basic track done with him. Some tempo changes as it builds intensity. I've definitely set my own recording bar too high, I want my record to sound great but that as you know - is a LOT of work - especially for an Army of One.

Sometimes something just comes and I can't stop myself from writing all or most of it in one go.

And I'll never forget the monthly songwriter's circle / challenge a friend of mine used to host. He would engage 3 other local songwriters for a Round Robin with 4. Then he would close his eyes, pull a book at random off of a large bookshelf, open the book, set his finger down and whatever it said there was the "theme" and we all had a week to write a song to that theme.

I hated that idea. I stumbled into "World of Wounds" which was one of the themes I got stuck with. It annoyed me so I wrote a sarcastic and scathing little ditty about the end of the human race. Last line was "Six billion tombstones on a big green lawn." Some of the audience were aghast, this was a "nicey nice" place. Others were laughing. I doubt I'll ever play it again.

Inspiration exists, it's happened often enough that I have some faith in it. At the same time, it can be elusive, distant, seemingly unobtainable. Yet if I ignore it, it won't go away. Rather the opposite.
1 6 Read More
The Keyboard Corner Jump to new posts
Re: M1 MacBook Pro, MacBook Air and Mac Mini ElmerJFudd 12/02/20 02:54 AM
Apparently for AUs, it’s a recompile. Audio Damage is saying they will be finished with M1 compatibility very soon.
40 1,367 Read More
Re: Walter Wanderley! artdob 12/02/20 02:39 AM
I stumbled upon the Call Me video about two months ago and was hooked. Went through a deep dive of every Wanderley album recently that is hosted on Amazon Music. A great style.
20 2,792 Read More
Forum News Jump to new posts
Possible Forums Disruption Jim Quinn 12/02/20 02:22 AM
We will once again be taking the forums offline for a test at 10 PM Eastern Wednesday the 2nd for approximately 1 hour.
0 6 Read More
Re: Roland FA series vs. JV1080 ajstan 12/02/20 02:01 AM
Originally Posted by Reezekeys
I had the Patch Base iPad app for a minute but the subscription thing was a deal-breaker since I hardly ever use my JV1010 – it's an emergency backup.
I believe there are options for a one-time purchase of a single editor for $29.99 or all editors for $99.99 in addition to a subscription options for all editors for $5.99 monthly or $59.99 annually.
27 660 Read More
Re: Controller keyboard suggestions Docbop 12/02/20 01:21 AM
Originally Posted by Reezekeys
From what i've heard, "Keyscape" and "old computer" don't exactly go well together. Good luck!

I talked to Spectrasonics and they said the computer is fine, but recommend installing Keyscape on a external SSD.
32 1,138 Read More
Re: YAMAHA Bif_ 12/02/20 12:50 AM
Originally Posted by GregC
good to read of a keyboard regular that is successful at the craft of recording a full on song.

Here's your chance to be the judge of that. Breezin' Through
47 1,497 Read More
Re: Taking the emotion out of buying a new piano David Emm 12/02/20 12:50 AM
When I first saw the title of the thread, I immediately thought "How in the hell could you manage that??" I've had an emotional attachment to everything I've bought, even the unplayable crap that I ultimately nailed to the wall as decoration. I think the depth of the dialogue makes my point. Sweating over a Baldwin baby grand was not much different from sweating over a MiniMoog. When you're dazzled, you're dazzled. love
29 601 Read More
Re: Let's hear it!!! Post your music here! Bif_ 12/02/20 12:46 AM
Started this song in 2008. Got it out and decided to finish it.

Constructive criticism accepted. keys

Breezin' Through
3,487 9,990,240 Read More
Re: Good resource for keyboard parts Keysguy 12/02/20 12:33 AM
But if you read the info it says they have sources to get listed parts not in stock. Maybe they have contacts regular people don't
4 134 Read More
Re: S'cuse me whilst I geek out on Yes... David Emm 12/02/20 12:31 AM
I'm one of the oddly blessed. I got to see Wakeman do "King Arthur" as a solo live show, Yes with Patrick Moraz and then Moraz on a duo "Flags" tour with Bill Bruford. That was my first exposure to a Kurzweil 250. After getting to lay hands on one in a store, I confirmed my belief that Moraz had massive brass ones to solo with it. Years later, Jordan Rudess wowed me by playing a Kurzweil Orchestral block like a proper Julliard whiz. If I'd landed a K before some of the other things I played, I'd still be living there above anything else.
22 818 Read More
Re: I'm looking for a good powered USB hub Mighty Motif Max 12/02/20 12:19 AM
Another Anker fan here.
8 245 Read More
Re: Your Latest Purchase (music related) David Emm 12/02/20 12:16 AM
Another humble safety HD, so that I can make yet another bootable backup. I trust flash drives through experience over time, but I still believe in wearing 4 belts and 5 pairs of suspenders. An electro-magnetic "F YOU!" is a most bitter F You. wah crazy
1,697 897,581 Read More
Re: OK, the Corona Virus Isn't Going Away. Now What? Notes_Norton 12/01/20 11:16 PM
Personal freedom should allow you to do things that might harm yourself. A few examples are: hang gliding, mountain climbing, riding a motorcycle without a helmet, doing recreational drugs, snow skiing, and so on.

But your freedom ends when it infringes on someone else's freedoms, life, health, or liberty. For example: driving under the influence, playing 120dba music at midnight, polluting a public water supply, walking around without a mask during a pandemic.

Why is that such a hard concept for some people to grasp?
1,146 113,303 Read More
Re: My First Band Instrument = Rheem Combo Organ wineandkeyz 12/01/20 10:02 PM
Originally Posted by zxcvbnm098
Originally Posted by wineandkeyz
My first band instrument was a Fender Contempo organ, which I played through a 1971 Univox U-1000 amp and UPA-2015 speaker cabinet. My folks bought the rig for me in 1972, after I'd just finished the 8th grade. The Univox stack came from a local music store. The Contempo came from a local musician who had just graduated high school and needed the money. It also had an issue that caused all the A's to "motor boat," as the service folks at Fender described it. We had obtained their number from the schematics, which were provided in an envelope taped to the underside of the lid. We ordered a replacement sound board (the Contempo had three, each of which produced 1/3 of the scale), installed it ourselves, and she played like new. (The previous owner was PISSED when he found out we'd fixed it so easily!)

[Linked Image from combo-organ.com]

A. That's a pretty darn rare organ. They didn't make many, and were only available for a short time period.
B. That's a pretty darn expensive rig for an 8th grader!!! Nice parents!

Yeah, from what I understand Fender got into the combo organ scene as it started to die away, so the Contempo didn't last. But it was a cool piece!

And you're right, that was a pretty nice rig for a rising 9th grader, especially considering we were a farm family. They did get the organ and amp at pretty good prices, though, because that issue with the organ was pretty bad and the amp had sat on the music store's floor for quite a while.

(By the way, the pictures are ones I found online.)
20 541 Read More
Re: Official NFL 2020-2021 Thread ProfD 12/01/20 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by Doerfler
now we know why Will Fuller V had such a good game this past Sunday facepalm

houston-texans-wr-fuller-suspended-six-games-ped-policy
Back in the old days, we just figured athletes were taking PEDs knowingly in order to gain an advantage. That is not always the case.

In listening to a sports talk radio show yesterday, sometimes the players are put in an awkward position. THere are over 100 banned subtances that will pop positive.

Doctors prescribe medications without taking into consideration whether or not it has ingredients that will lead to a positive test result. The players aren't pharmocologists and so they trust the meds as prescribed by the doctors. The players don't know they're taking a banned substance until the test results come back.

The "evil" side of sports especially when it comes to money is the owners and schools want the best athletes to perform at the highest levels within the "rules" which sometimes seem to be a moving goal post.

IMO, the owners, athletic directors, coaches, team doctors and other handlers know athletes are being given PEDs through medications. They're not worried about it until they get "caught" i.e. athlete pops positive.

The athlete gets suspended and/or fines. We hardly ever hear about ramifications for the team/owner. Business as usual. Follow the money. rolleyes cool
169 12,126 Read More
Re: History of the Pianoforte, by Bosendorfer.... uhoh7 12/01/20 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by Docbop
But it didn't have aftertouch!
Voltaire noticed: "un piano-forte qui est un instrument de chaudronnier en comparaison du clavecin"

Clavecin = Clavichord, many of which had a aftertouch capable of vibrato.

The clavichord is due for a serious comeback, IMHO.

What is interesting to me is that the modern piano is American. Lots of action fiddling by those euros, but the iron frame, which seperates the piano from the pianoforte more than anything else, is new world.
4 291 Read More
Re: OT - What are you listening to right now? Michael Wright 12/01/20 07:54 PM
[Linked Image from floydianslip.com]
Just became available to me today. I had a VHS tape years ago, but lent it out and well...... cry
1,918 2,499,575 Read More
Re: Line 6 L2T Woes Delaware Dave 12/01/20 07:16 PM
I use a Line Conditioner Tripplite LC1200. They can be had for about $100 if you do some extensive searching. I wonder if the Tripplite would have saved your L2T from absorbing the hit? In addition to regulating voltage it also has premier surge protection. The unit supposedly comes with $25K of lifetime insurance. I wonder if it the Op Amp took the electrical hit rather than the main board itself?
2 231 Read More
Re: Help - Yamaha MX88 key noise Dr88s 12/01/20 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by JohnH
That won't work- he's in Canada and that link is USA only. Canada:

https://ca.yamaha.com/en/support/

Thanks for that thu
11 201 Read More
Re: Synchronise a daw to a click track allergic drummer Threadslayer 12/01/20 06:38 PM
This is an interesting human-machine interface topic. It seems as if something like interactive tap tempo as mentioned above might be the least painful way to gently nudge the drummer back on track if you got good at resyncing the tempo every so often. Not great, but better than diverging into a train wreck.
5 116 Read More
Re: Black Friday sales KuruPrionz 12/01/20 04:17 PM
Of course, NOW Eventide pops up with sale pricing.

https://store.eventideaudio.com/pag...?mc_cid=409ee4dc76&mc_eid=e29f1cfa9a

Fortunately, it runs until Jan 4th. I have Micro-Pitch and Physion and they are both excellent. Omnipressor was reviewed in Tape Op and got very high ratings.
In any case, they've provided a sufficient window to download and test a trial before buying. My limited experience with their plugins has been very good.
The interface makes it easy to use and both Micro-Pitch and Physion have "bonus" features that make them versatile.

I think it's safe for me to say that if I had started out using Eventide plugins, I probably would not own nearly as many plugins as I do now.
46 1,646 Read More
Re: Black Friday Deals, Anyone? KuruPrionz 12/01/20 04:16 PM
Of course, NOW Eventide pops up with sale pricing.

https://store.eventideaudio.com/pag...?mc_cid=409ee4dc76&mc_eid=e29f1cfa9a

Fortunately, it runs until Jan 4th. I have Micro-Pitch and Physion and they are both excellent. Omnipressor was reviewed in Tape Op and got very high ratings.
In any case, they've provided a sufficient window to download and test a trial before buying. My limited experience with their plugins has been very good.
The interface makes it easy to use and both Micro-Pitch and Physion have "bonus" features that make them versatile.

I think it's safe for me to say that if I had started out using Eventide plugins, I probably would not own nearly as many plugins as I do now.
53 955 Read More
Shameless Plugs Jump to new posts
Re: Deep Purple Highway Star cover ABECK 12/01/20 03:47 PM
Thanks fellas - can't wait to gig again! Vids are fun, but just not the same.
8 140 Read More
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14