Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Craig Anderton's Sound, Studio, and Stage Jump to new posts
Re: It’s the end of the world as we know it Paul Kondig 04/05/20 10:05 AM
Originally Posted by David Holloway
And Keith Richards as world president of course

Oh! But of course!
7 73 Read More
The Keyboard Corner Jump to new posts
Re: How do you remove a guitar track from a song? vanderSchoot 04/05/20 09:36 AM
Make sure you also record a bone dry feed....ends up sounding much better most of the time..or with just a SUBTLE amount of effects in the post process.
As a keyboard player i never used any reverb live and most effects apart from leslie muddy things up very fast. My experience with some guitarists is that they use to much real tube, to many dedicated effects and to many guitars. While a simple clean strat sound during accompanying parts would sound best most of the time.
Maybe it’s just me ..but boy did i prefer a guitar player with just a couple of sounds to play with and accurate use of volume adjustments during solo and accompanying parts....instead of the ‘each song needs a whole new arsenal of effect settings’..not knowing how a specific venue would react to a specific setting of /user effect chains programmed in another room.
16 350 Read More
Re: Corona Virus thread 16251 04/05/20 09:16 AM
One local grocery store in my area is only allowing people to enter from one place. There was a long line waiting to enter. I understand the need, of course, but it doesn't seem too much thought was put into plan. Another store has created one-way aisles. This seems like a better way, since I can create my own social distancing.

Another observation while I was driving in a scenic area were people walking on sidewalk. They were keeping their distance but I wouldn't want to be at the back of such a line even if it's outside. if you're wondering, there is not a mandatory order to stay home so the walkers were not breaking any laws.
467 13,349 Read More
Re: Stimulus - wow Mark Schmieder 04/05/20 08:58 AM
I tried the same thing with my car insurance, as the rates went up by 25% even though this is the six-month mid-term of my annual policy (it's never been raised more than annually) and I pay all at once. The most I could get it down was maybe $25, so even though I'm driving even less than before (maybe 20 miles a month instead of 100 miles or so), I'm kind of screwed due to living adjacent the most dangerous interstate intersection in the country (even though I never use it). And because it's California.

No unemployment checks yet; they're way behind. I can last a few months, but no more than that. If I'm lucky, the quarantine ends no later than August and hopefully as early as mid-May, I'll get my old job back (no guarantees there, as companies won't necessarily throw the switch all the way on right away), and will owe less in taxes next year. :-) I've been afraid to start this year's tax forms yet as I don't know what I'll do if I owe money. But I can't live in denial forever. Maybe I'll start working on them this coming Monday.

In spite of all this complaining, I'm probably in better shape than most, because I so aggressively save for a rainy day. It's just that I was expecting a cushion beyond that, and was shocked when I didn't get one. But I'm not at liberty to talk about it. I just hope other people here aren't in the same boat. Maybe we'll see deflation though, and thus living expenses will go down to partially compensate for economic losses.
40 902 Read More
Re: How do you remove a guitar track from a song? PianoMan51 04/05/20 07:55 AM
Eb was just a joke for us keyboard players. Do we have any others so we can offend a group that isn’t represented on KC?

How do you remove a guitar track from a song?

- Cover it over with a banjo track.

And here comes the KC banjo subgroup with history lessons and cries for social justice for stereotyped banjo players.

(For complete disclosure, I own and occasionally play a 4 string tenor Gibson built in the 20s. I cried the day the old leather head split. And yes, if I ever want a second banjo I’ll just leave mine downtown in an unlocked car.)
16 350 Read More
Dr. Mike's Studio Workshop Jump to new posts
Re: Mics you / I own, what's good? KuruPrionz 04/05/20 06:45 AM
Bumping this back up.

I've now tried the CAD Equitek E100 (2) on a guitar amp and it sounded great there. I didn't spend much time positioning, thinking back a couple of feet with the amp turned up would be smoother and fuller.

Tonight I put the Heil PR40 and the CAD D82 on my acoustic guitar. I aimed the Heil at the 12 fret and the CAD just behind the bridge. A great sound with an abundance of clear, smooth low end. No boom or foggy bass.

I've used the Heil on a cello, it was very good there as well. Full sounding and it smoothed out some bow work a bit.

Neat King Bee is excellent for femaie vocals.

There will be more, this "shelter in place" is an opportunity to get to know my mics.
35 1,297 Read More
Guitar Forum Jump to new posts
Re: Somewhat OT: Staying in or going out? KuruPrionz 04/05/20 06:22 AM
Just hiding out, learning which microphone is good for what.

All of them are good for everything but everything is a lot of stuff.

Hoping to find combinations that fit right together so mixing is easy.

Tonight I tried a Heil PR40 and a CAD D82 ribbon on my Rainsong OM1000 with new strings. Fantastic if acoustic is a main instrument, too much bass if a part player. I can just roll bass off, easy.
I aimed the ribbon just behind the bridge and the Heil at the 12 fret. Sounded like a sweet dreadnaught but without any boom. Best acoustic recording tone I've gotten so far.

Anybody else learning studio tricks?
78 1,529 Read More
Re: Michael McDonald's home studio and solo cassdad 04/05/20 06:06 AM
My Rant re the need to use the "originally recorded key" [u][/u][b][/b]

Yup, he dropped the tunes ½ step and a whole step, respectively. Which is exactly my point! First, we're all getting older, and my opinion is that it is better to preserve the soulfulness and tonal quality of the vocal at a lower key, if needed, than to try to be "true to the original recording". Frankly, I am SO sick and tired of those who believe that "if you can't sing and perform the song in the originally recorded key, then you have no business performing it". Pockycock. BS. I've seen many a performer perform their "hit" song in a lower key than originally recorded. I understand, that for some songs, the "key" does critically change the tonality of the song. But most of the time, if not having heard the song recently in the original key, I'd guess that most would not even notice that the key is lower, and would really appreciate the performer singing in a key which projects the richness and perfect pitch of their voice in the lower key, rather than having to listen to them trying to sing it in the higher original key, and sounding like screaming banshee wolves, their voices cracking and struggling for the right pitch. My 2 cents.
6 414 Read More
Re: Corona Virus thread Docbop 04/05/20 05:45 AM
I find this video very down to earth and informative. It covers the test many are buying and it's unreliable results. It also talks how people (including me) who got that really bad flu around the end of last year think they got an early version of the virus and have some immunity, which leads in to the talk about virus timeline.

I liked Jessa's talk, but of course your MMV.

467 13,349 Read More
Re: It’s the end of the world as we know it David Holloway 04/05/20 05:37 AM
And Keith Richards as world president of course
7 73 Read More
Re: New Synth Wizards episode - CS 80 repair The Real MC 04/05/20 05:01 AM
Cool video.
9 354 Read More
Re: New KC Compilation • Quarantunes, Volume 1 Dave Bryce 04/05/20 04:51 AM
Originally Posted by lightbg
I was wondering if you could insert a little background on my track over at SoundCloud.
Done.

dB
68 1,313 Read More
Re: New KC Compilation • Quarantunes, Volume 1 lightbg 04/05/20 04:30 AM
Dave,

So far everyone sounds amazing. Great stuff, guys!

I was wondering if you could insert a little background on my track over at SoundCloud. Basically I wanted to combine a bit of Hammond and Big Band as homage to Wild Bill Davis and Jimmy McGriff, with a bit of Freddy Green thrown in. Hammond = B3X on an iPad mini 5, bones. saxes, and guitar = Roland JV1010, and my buddy Don Williams helped me program my Beat Buddy for drums.

Can't wait to hear the rest of the submissions.

Jake
68 1,313 Read More
Re: Somewhat OT: Staying in or going out? desertbluesman 04/05/20 04:23 AM
Originally Posted by wraub
I think we are about 10 miles apart. Possibly, less.

Cotton Lane and Bell road here.
78 1,529 Read More
Re: It’s the end of the world as we know it Anderton 04/05/20 04:20 AM
Originally Posted by KuruPrionz
Originally Posted by Paul Kondig
Yes, i know it’s not the end of the world!

We will know it is the end of the world because all that will be left alive are catfish, opossums, cockroaches and those weird thingies in the bottom of the ocean that live off of the emissions from volcanic crevices.

And of course, Cher's career.
7 73 Read More
Re: It’s the end of the world as we know it KuruPrionz 04/05/20 03:48 AM
Originally Posted by Paul Kondig
Yes, i know it’s not the end of the world!

We will know it is the end of the world because all that will be left alive are catfish, opossums, cockroaches and those weird thingies in the bottom of the ocean that live off of the emissions from volcanic crevices.

That's how we will be able to tell... oh... wait... uhhh...
7 73 Read More
Re: Appear on Kingdom of Rock Podcast? Music With Marky 04/05/20 03:43 AM
I'm not sure I have anything interesting to say re: Covid and the music biz, but I'm happy to chat. I've got some Social Media juice:
https://www.instagram.com/marktiarra/
https://open.spotify.com/artist/2iGVLO33dz7ribdrH3IUv0
https://www.youtube.com/MusicWithMarky
1 26 Read More
Hit It! Jump to new posts
Re: what is your favorite brand for drums? KuruPrionz 04/05/20 03:39 AM
Back in my "lets try everything" days before settling on guitar, I found a Sonor rosewood set at a garage sale for $150.
24" kick, metal snare, matching rosewood rack tom and floor tom. The floor tom was big, don't remember the size.

Those were gorgeous sounding drums, they had thick, laminated shells. The Sonor hi-hat stand was super smooth. I picked up a set of K Zildjian hi-hat cymbals at the swap meet for $35 and i had it goin' ON!!!

I sold everything for $400 about 6 months later. I hate to think what it would be worth now... so it goes. Cheers, Kuru
21 1,871 Read More
Re: iCloud musician issues MoodyBluesKeys 04/05/20 03:35 AM
On the Share Menu in GarageBand, choose Export to Disk. Then choose .mp3 and select the quality of export (you can also export to .wav and a number of other formats). The .band "file" is actually more like a folder containing all of the setup information for the GB project. I am recording audio files using my Mac and GB to be used for online Bible study lessons. Switched to the Mac because all of the DAW applications that I had required way to much learning curve for what needed to be a very quick use. So, I hook up 1 or 2 condenser mics to my Focusrite 18i8, plug in the USB on the mac, open the Focusrite app (which looks like a mixer and check the gain and adjust if needed. Then I use GB to make the recording.
At that point, I save the .mp3 file to either OneDrive or iCloud Files (or Box or Google Drive or Dropbox, all of them work with either Mac or PC), transfer the file to the PC, use VSDC Free Video Editor to import the audio file, then import pictures for the video portion. Now that I've done it a couple of times, it works reasonably quick and easy.
GB is the easiest way I've found to do this in terms of needed learning curve. Every time I hit a snag, a quick Google search would give a useful answer. I used to use Dropbox for a lot of things, even the 2GB or so was enough. But when they went full commercial, I don't need 1TB of storage, especially at about $120 a year. 50GB on iCloud for 99 cents a month is much better. I also have 30GB on OneDrive (sent email while I could to keep the free storage that I already had), 50GB for life on Box, it came with a HP Win 8 tablet that I bought new a few years ago, and the 15GB on Google Drive.
Also easy to use all of those on the iPads. The oldest with OS 9.something is most difficult but I got a free files app for it. The newer IOS versions provide the Files app, and I can then transfer a file into whatever app I need to use with it. I've put some time into getting all this running smoothly, because one of the local specialties that my firm provides is "Making Apple and Microsoft PLAY NICE!" Nice little niche no one else in my area is filling.
10 106 Read More
Re: 10k Streams on Spotify Larryz 04/05/20 03:15 AM
thu
5 62 Read More
Re: Corona Virus thread Markay 04/05/20 02:17 AM
Originally Posted by El Lobo
Originally Posted by gg22
"Of those 413, 75% were judged to be positive" - which is roughly 300 false negatives. 300 false negatives out of 1014 is roughly 30%.
I was going to post the same thing but held off. 413 tested negative. Of those, 75% (310) were later found to be positive, so of total 1014 patients tested, 310 tested negative and later found to be positive. That’s 31% of all patients tested.
Might be worth taking the following into account when considering the relevance of this research today.
Study test dates "From January 6 to February 6, 2020," in Wuhan China.

There are now many documented cases in the past seven days of test kits sourced from China that have been found to be faulty when tested. 50 % or higher error rate. Health Departments in Spain, Italy and Australia amongst those who have refused to accept delivery. These test kits could have been included in the sample used for this study.

Test kits are now being manufactured in a number of places other than China, for example Germany. Plus there is more to the test kit story in some countries. Now there are many research institutions developing their own tests in the US and elsewhere. Another complication is that globally test kits are made to conform to the WHO standard. In the US tests up until recently have had to conform to the CDC standard. So a study on the number of false negatives in China in January 2020 has no relevance to the US experience.

Published by Popular Mechanics, link HERE
"In Washington, where the CDC's faulty tests stymied the progress of testing, potentially aiding the community spread seen there, the University of Washington Medical Center has developed a COVID-19 test based on WHO recommendations, unlike the CDC"

Note the reference to "faulty" above refers to false positives.
467 13,349 Read More
Re: New KC Compilation • Quarantunes, Volume 1 Dave Bryce 04/05/20 02:08 AM
"Worlds Apart" added by dB.

This is going to be much easier than the other ones. MPN now has a SoundCloud account, I've already uploaded the first five tracks at full res (hooray for SoundCloud) and created a playlist for the comp. I can add the tunes as they come in (latest submission is at the top), and we can watch it grow in real time. Kinda cool...

It's here: Quarantunes Volume 1

keynana rocker cheers

dB
68 1,313 Read More
Re: "Banned for Life" - You Make the Call MikeT156 04/05/20 02:07 AM
The on-going dispute with someone that doesn't have a handle on his business wears thin in short order when you know you're getting the run around.

These types of disputes can only be settled the way this went down. No service, no payment. I would not have waited that long to contact the CC company to ask them to reverse the charges. Once you know he was lying, then forgot his last lie, it was time to take action.

A large number of people in our own country are not playing with a full deck, some others are scammers that intentionally take your money and try to get away with it, and others are just petty criminals. Honesty went out the window long ago, the word integrity should be removed from the Dictionary.

Mike T.
51 1,388 Read More
Re: Corona Virus thread ElmerJFudd 04/05/20 01:38 AM
Google Covid-19 Tracker

Setting it for US - Louisiana is pretty ripe with it right now and Florida is on the rise. Texas, Arkansas, and Mississippi are going to see their curves spike pretty soon.
467 13,349 Read More
Re: Let's hear it!!! Post your music here! Dave Bryce 04/05/20 01:33 AM
For what it's worth, we're putting together the first KC Compilations project that we've done in years (Quarantunes, Volume 1).

We used to do projects like this all the time - we made fourteen CDs a bunch of years back - but it's been a while since we made a new one.

If anybody wants to add anything to the project, the thread is here.

dB
3,283 9,610,546 Read More
Page 1 of 192 1 2 3 191 192